Updated question about possible intercooler sizes.

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
tehbrookzorz

Updated question about possible intercooler sizes.

Post by tehbrookzorz »

I'm planning on going turbo and sourcing parts. I'm trying to determine the biggest intercooler I can put in without cutting the crossmember. I'm sure some of you have managed this, what sizes will fit?
Last edited by tehbrookzorz on March 15th, 2008, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody
RS_OBD'oh_2

Re: Question about possible intercooler sizes.

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

:shrug: more info needed
TREVO123

Post by TREVO123 »

What hes asking is How big of a FMIC he can use without Cuttin or removin the Front bumper support.
TREVO-Under major construction, Bp coming soon! TO a mx3 near you
1993 MX-3 RS,FULL BLITZ KIT(PROTOTYPE)17"10 SPOKE RIMS,SOHC 1.6L.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2189811
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Stock bumper cover? Drift? MS? Size does not always matter. Anything over 28 inches in length is not more effiecient. you also don't need an fmic good for 700hp if you are running 7psi.
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Ah, sorry. I should have been more specific, I just didn't think of those variables, so I didn't assume I had to post more info.

I'm building a KL-hybrid; KL-DE block, KL-ZE heads and manifold, Hawk racing H-beam rods (Ford small block), custom pistons (compression not yet determined, likely 8.5:1), Megasquirt v3, Garret GT3071R, other goodies. Should be good for more than 7 psi if tuned properly.

The front currently has the stock GS bumper and lip, eventually I would like to put on the Mazdaspeed style bumper if I can find one.

Trevo123 is right, I want to fit an intercooler without modifying the front bumper support. What is the maximum height, depth and width I can fit without removing safety components from the car.
Cody
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Re: Updated question about possible intercooler sizes.

Post by hotsiit »

Hey, not sure on sizes that will fit, but I am in the same situation, I want on my new set-up, to put the front re-bar back in, as I am going with a eunos front bumper and lip with factory fogs. To help with room/space, I am going to run a civic/del sol "half" sized rad. If anything, I may half to / end up cutting out just the center section of the bar, or shaving it down :shrug: . I won't have any info until I actually get everything in, and all the mock up can begin.
:)
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
tehbrookzorz

Re: Updated question about possible intercooler sizes.

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Well, if you happen to have it apart, please take a couple measurements and post your findings. I'm considering Vibrant Performance's air to air intercooler (18x6.5x3.25).
Cody

Return to “Forced Induction”