PROBLEM: Starter/Alternator/Battery/Shorting Issue

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Gfresh

PROBLEM: Starter/Alternator/Battery/Shorting Issue

Post by Gfresh »

Car: 1994 Maxda MX-3 GS w/ HEI Ignition mod

Problem: While driving charge light came on. But when revved up, turned off. Next the radio began to cut out, headlights began to dim, gauges stopped functioning, ABS cut out, etc. Then while driving and slowing down, the engine died, and wouldn't turn over again. I boosted it with a booster pack, and it was good to go. Until the same thing happened again.

It seems like it's probably the alternator, or could possibly be a bad battery that is no longer holding a charge, or else something is draining the power, possibly a short. I'd like to get this fixed ASAP, so any suggestions on things to test with a tester, or certain things to do to rule out problems, and perhaps isolate the real one would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys, and I look forward to any feedback,

Travis
Green Machine --1994 MX-3 GS 5-spd-- HEI Ignition Modded
Stablo87

Re: PROBLEM: Starter/Alternator/Battery/Shorting Issue

Post by Stablo87 »

Sounds like the alternatir is going bad, thats just my experience.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Start the car, then disconnect the battery while it's running. Leave it running for awhile with headlights, etc. turned on. If it stays running, you can rule out the alternator.
I'm betting the alternator is toast.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Gfresh

Post by Gfresh »

I'll give that a try, thanks, umcamara.

Also, what's a new alternator worth if that is the problem, and does the engine have to be lifted out to replace it, or do you have to remove the IM, or can you get at it from underneath of the car?

Thanks.
Green Machine --1994 MX-3 GS 5-spd-- HEI Ignition Modded
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

A rebuilt alternator is usually between $120-$170. You could get one from a wrecker for about $70-$80, but you never know how long it will last. I got one from a wrecker that lasted me 2 weeks, luckily it had a 90-day warranty.

On the B6, it's pretty simple to replace the alt, no removal of anything really, just the charcoal cansiter to make it a bit easier. However, I'm not sure about the K8. I can't imagine you'd have to lift the engine, and it should be on the opposite side of the engine from the IM.

Somebody will confirm this. Good luck.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
mattsmx3

Post by mattsmx3 »

make sure your altenator belt didnt snap...
happened to me
eyezpinned

Post by eyezpinned »

i had 2 similar experiences:

1. while driving the car engine would bog down and all electrical accessories would cut out. car would only restart after letting it sit. ANSWER: bad alternator ground

2. while driving the car charge light would come on, radio would cut out, car would run hot
ANSWER: engine ground came loose and snapped the alternator belt
93 rs: tokico struts & eibach springs, 15' rota gt3s, cf hood & gas lid, 2.5' exhaust w high-flow cat, tranny cooler, reupholstered seats, custom black interior, chrome miata handles, momo wheel & ebrake, spyder black projector lights w hid, altezzas, clear corners/sides, eclipse 8454 hu, diamond hex components w/ 3-way add-on & an re se 15' powered by 300/2v2 & 500/1 jl slash amps, corksport mazdaspeed bumper, euro mini sideskirts, fresh paint

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”