ok to drive with idle problem?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
neli_nael

ok to drive with idle problem?

Post by neli_nael »

my car has an idle "jump" it goes from 1000 to 1500, is it ok to drive because i dont have time to figure out why its doing that?
94 mx3 rs
92 mx3 gs curved neck klze SOLD
maryus

Re: ok to drive with idle problem?

Post by maryus »

it's ok , but your gas mileage will be affected. Don't know how much.

you have idle problems because of the vacuum leaks.
'92 Black Mazda Mx-3 - kl-ze
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Should be, but I don't want to guarantee it.

This seems to be one of the most common problems with this car, have you done a search? I'd advise it in the future; comes in very handy and keeps the more senior members from calling you a newb.

If I had to guess, I'd say you had a vacuum leak at the induction hose between your airbox and your throttlebody. Find the leak, patch or replace this hose, (without removing the Volume Airflow Sensor at the airbox) and you should be in business.

Cheers.
Cody
Stablo87

Post by Stablo87 »

I had the same problem like a week ago, I just replaced my throttle body and it works fine now. I think i saw some one selling one on the site for 25, I bought mine off some one here.
se7en

Post by se7en »

just disconnect the IAC valve.

that worked for me.

1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

tehbrookzorz wrote:Should be, but I don't want to guarantee it.

This seems to be one of the most common problems with this car, have you done a search? I'd advise it in the future; comes in very handy and keeps the more senior members from calling you a newb.

If I had to guess, I'd say you had a vacuum leak at the induction hose between your airbox and your throttlebody. Find the leak, patch or replace this hose, (without removing the Volume Airflow Sensor at the airbox) and you should be in business.

Cheers.
yes i've done searches on it, i know what might be wrong with it just with school, work, and the gf that i dont have time to mess with it; but i still want to drive it.
94 mx3 rs
Stablo87

Post by Stablo87 »

yes i've done searches on it, i know what might be wrong with it just with school, work, and the gf that i dont have time to mess with it; but i still want to drive it.
Dude im a senior in college, I'm the secretary for the student union, treasurer for my LULAC council, work 30 hours a week, volunteer to mentor highschool kids on the weekend and still have time to work on my car. Not trying to rag on you, but he was just trying to help.
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

Stablo87 wrote:
Dude im a senior in college, I'm the secretary for the student union, treasurer for my LULAC council, work 30 hours a week, volunteer to mentor highschool kids on the weekend and still have time to work on my car. Not trying to rag on you, but he was just trying to help.
wow...i wouldn't be able to do that. i don't know much about cars so i would have to research how to do things and then have to find it on the car, that's what takes up most of the time. next week is spring break so i'll find some time to work on it then.
94 mx3 rs
Stablo87

Post by Stablo87 »

If you are going to change your throttle body and need any help you are welcome to pm me.
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

Stablo87 wrote:If you are going to change your throttle body and need any help you are welcome to pm me.
will do, but i will check for vacuum leaks first though.
94 mx3 rs
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

I wouldn't start replacing parts or disconnecting sensors until you know for sure what the problem is. If you have one of those mini-camping propane bottles and rig up a hose with a valve you should be able to search for vacuum leaks fairly quickly, but just try flexing the intake tube to eliminate that possibility first. If the car stalls, you've found the problem.
Cody
X3RCKT

Post by X3RCKT »

tehbrookzorz wrote: If I had to guess, I'd say you had a vacuum leak at the induction hose between your airbox and your throttlebody.

Cheers.
+1

I had that same issue and so did a buddy of mine with his MX6. Would run fine when it warmed up cuz the hose would relax and kind of seal the "crack" in the tubbing. Alot of times it will be on the INSIDE of the bend, between a couple of the ribs and VERY hard to see unless you actually flex the pipe to see it.

If you find the "crack" and dont want to REPLACE the tube, go to Walmart and buy yourself a tube of Plastic Weld. Has epoxy on one side and hardener on the other and you just push the plunger for it to mix and apply. Was like $4 and we never had issues with it again. I also makes a quick emergency repair if it ever happens again.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”