Getting the PS Halfshaft out

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
kakarot135

Getting the PS Halfshaft out

Post by kakarot135 »

Ok here is the issue. I am trying to get the Passenger side halfshaft out of the MX3, I have the hub off, and down to getting the shaft out of the tranny. I have tried everything to get it off, I have two 3/8" chisels up there on either side of the main shaft to create space between the Tranny housing and the housing of the halfshaft and still cannot get the halfshaft out of the tranny. Also I am not worried about the Oil seal since it is getting replaced anyway if not the entire tranny if the Diff is gone. But do I have to put something ito the tranny to hold the Differential gears in place until the new Halfshaft goes in......

Any and all help is appreciated
Kakarot 135
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Re: Getting the PS Halfshaft out

Post by Kirk95gs »

did you take the three bolts that hold the intermediate shaft to the block? it should just pull out. might need to wack the chisles a couple times but it should just pop right out.
kakarot135

Post by kakarot135 »

My car is a 93 SOHC, as far as I can tell there are no bolts, My car does not have an intermediate shaft at all, just the two half shafts. And I have done more than tap the chisels, I have put a prybar between them and wacked it with a 20oz framing hammer and still would not pop loose....
Kakarot 135
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

Try and slide a bar in from the driver's side wheel well and smack it a couple times. That's what I had to do. If you still have problems let me know and I can swing down your way if you need some help.
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot
kakarot135

Post by kakarot135 »

What part of Ohio are you in? Depending on how far you are dinner might have to be involved if you come down...

I have started to tear down the drivers side to try the straight through approach, but not much time to work on it considering I have a 2 week old daughter in the house now. I will try to get the rest torn down tonight or in the morning and let you know. Hopefully this side tears down easier. I order to get the axle nut off at the wheel hub on the passenger side I had to use an impact at 180 psi and then use a pipe wrench on the socket with a 10 foot breaker bar to get it loose....

anyways wish me luck...
Kakarot 135
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

I live out in milford/goshen. not to far from cincinnati. just let me know.
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Is this the green triangular shaft out the tranny? I left mine on whilst taking my engine out! No clearance issues, perhaps because I've a Uk car with no brake master in the way...
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
kakarot135

Post by kakarot135 »

marcdh wrote:Is this the green triangular shaft out the tranny? I left mine on whilst taking my engine out! No clearance issues, perhaps because I've a Uk car with no brake master in the way...
My car does not have on of those, here is a picture of what I am trying to get out...

Kakarot 135
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Ahh. The metal piece that receives the shaft in the middle it the green bit on my car that I left on. So you can't get the shaft the boot surrounds out? Shouldn't be hard, unless all the grease is gone, just keep rotating and wiggling it all angles. Taking the boot off may help you visualise what you're dealing with, it worked for me somehow :)
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
View Worklog
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

well hopefully he got it out... it's been a month lol :roll:
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

lol rapid response team right here
View Worklog
kakarot135

Post by kakarot135 »

actually it is still in the garage, still with the halfshaft in it. been working about 65 hours a week so I haven't had athe chance to work on it for the past month or so. Hopefully I will have some time to work on it tommorow.
Kakarot 135

Return to “Transmissions”