cam break in/molybdenum grease

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

cam break in/molybdenum grease

Post by Bumpysbro »

hey guys im bout to put my engine back together, i was wondering if i could use molydenum grease on my cam lobes. i hear everywhere to use engine assembly lube but i remember hearing somewhere or seeing somewhere that i could use this. can anyone tell me if theyve or knew someone who did it. thanks
Jon
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
OldMan

Re: cam break in/molybdenum grease

Post by OldMan »

A friend of mine used it when he rebuilt his truck engine. He said that it gave him no problems. He has put over a 100,000 miles on it and it is still running strong. So I am assuming it would be ok for your engine assembly.

OldMan
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Crap!

I put my ZE all back together and didn't even think of that. How important is it? should I take the manifold and VCs back off?
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

ElectricEnergy wrote:Crap!

I put my ZE all back together and didn't even think of that. How important is it? should I take the manifold and VCs back off?
You definitely should pre-lubricate the cams and all the bottom end bearings. Either that or find a way to spin the oil pump manually prior to starting it for the first time to pressurize the oiling system. If you don't the cams will run for up to 25 seconds with no lube at all...ummmm real bad.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
OldMan

Post by OldMan »

That initial lube is the life of your rebuild. If lube is not supplied the wear on the parts is extreme. It would be like just taking all the dollars you spent and putting them in a pile and touching a match to it.

If it was me in your shoes, I would definately take it back apart and lube everything up properly, unless as wytbishop said you have a way of pressurising the lube system before you star the engine. On the engines I used to rebuild, I used the assembly lube and then right before the initial start up I primed the oil system. Never had any regrets for doing it that way.

OldMan
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

This wasn't really a rebuild, I just took the cams out to inspect the valve retainers. I did put fresh oil on them while I was putting it back together just to avoid any wear on the HLAs and such while I worked. Would this really be any different from starting the engine after its been sitting for a while?

And.... I just realized I totally hijacked this thread. :p
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
OldMan

Post by OldMan »

You might be ok since it was not a rebuild and you did pour oil on everything. I guess it would be about the same as the car sitting without being started for a while. If your oil filter is full it won't take but a few seconds to have oil up there. Depending on how long it's been since you did this, you could always pull the valve cover and pour some fresh oil on the cam lobes or pull your plugs and disconnect your fuel pump electrical connection and spin it over several times. That would pressurise the oil system without putting the components under much of a load. It is your call, do what you feel is best for your situation.

OldMan
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Thank you,

I'll just turn it over a few times before I actually start it to get everything primed. I think it should be fine.

David
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

ok good thats good to hear, i think my machine shop did it for me when i got a valve job but since i already had it rebuilt no need to send it back. thanks for the info, ya usually if you dont lube them some can go out in 2500miles as some other people stated. good info
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”