Is it toast???

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
MazdaMan85

Is it toast???

Post by MazdaMan85 »

Well I'm back on here because of the darn transmission. I think I'm going to sell the car. Anyways as you know its a 92 v6 auto. For a while the car would stall when put in gear. Then that stopped and went back to banging into gear but the only thing different this time was when I was driving when it shifted into third it jerked violently a couple of times. Got home and decided I'd put some lucas in it. After that I test drove it and never got out of first gear so I stopped and put it back in gear and nothing happened. No gears did anything. So I shut it off and waited about one minute started the car and it went into gear and i got it into second. After that I parked it in my drive way. Is this thing shot?? And if it is what can I sell it for. With a non working tranny? It's got 199000 miles on it but runs very good and looks great.
Raven95150

Re: Is it toast???

Post by Raven95150 »

Doesn't sound too good. You might want to take it to a tranny shop and see what they say, it might be a cheap fix. If the tranny is junk, I would just do a MTX swap.

I paid $750 for mine with a junk ATX, and about $300 for everything to do the MTX swap.
No more MX-3
2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT
95 F-150...6" lift, 35" tires
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

I would do the mtx swap. 199,000 miles on an auto tranny is more than average. I would say it put it's fair share of work in. You'll get better gas mileage and better preformance with a mtx. Just my .02
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot
MazdaMan85

Post by MazdaMan85 »

thanks for the info. I pulled a code 6 last night. Vehicle speed sensor. So I take a closer look. This tranny was just rebuilt last year. so I don't know what to think.
Raven95150

Post by Raven95150 »

I would start there, replace the VSS and see what happens. If the computer doesn't know how fast the car is going, it isn't going to shift right.

Actually, before you buy a new VSS, check the wiring and the plug to make sure its not just a bad connection.

I had a similar problem with a vehicle I had a few years ago. I thought I had some serious tranny problems but it turned out to just be the throttle position sensor.
No more MX-3
2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT
95 F-150...6" lift, 35" tires
MazdaMan85

Post by MazdaMan85 »

Thanks for the reply. I'll check the wiring and connection. I just remember I changed the fuel filter so maybe I hit something under there and messed something up. This site is awesome.
smallblockman69

Post by smallblockman69 »

does your tranny have an MLPS sensor... it could be that
MazdaMan85

Post by MazdaMan85 »

sorry but what does mlps stand for??

Return to “Transmissions”