solar panel

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
shameem
Supporting Member

solar panel

Post by shameem »

I am thinking about getting a solar panel to keep my battery charged during the day - to reduce the load on the alternator - and also to see if i can gain some mpg s. There is a boat load of them on ebay - but has anyone used a certain type or brand or has any ideas/recommendations?

On the topic of mileage- I replaced most of the filament lamps with led lights (turn signal, brake lights, markers etc) - i am also using a 35w HID headlights - i am seeing 2-4 mpg increase for the past 10 fill ups ..... which to me is significant because it will cover the price of the conversion soon and then its extra money....
sk8erdude802

Re: solar panel

Post by sk8erdude802 »

I havent got any experience with the topic but I just wanted to stop in and say wow. Its a great idea. Keep us posted on the results. Im extremely interested. Make sure to take lots of pictures so you can write a how to if it does well.

Steve-O
93' MX-3 GS SE ZE - Sold to Acheron1502! SOLD!!!

93' MX-3 GS SE - R.I.P. K8 with Integra CAI, HEI mod, Koni inserts with H&R's,drift kit, Kicker KX400.1 and KX200.2 amps, 2 kicker 12s, set of 6x9's. Custom trunk enclosure

MyFeedBackThread
^^^^^ Click on image for my work log ^^^^^
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I dont think your going to get any better MPG from it though.. Most solar panel chargers are floating trickle chargers.. not enough to keep the pull off of the alternator.
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Right now i am thinking about these -
http://cgi.ebay.com/SOLAR-PANEL-UNI-SOL ... dZViewItem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://cgi.ebay.com/20-Watt-Solar-Panel ... dZViewItem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just want to reduce the load on the alternator to maintain battery charge - if the solar panel trickle charges the battery 10 hours a day everyday (or most days) there must be atleast some benefits (or disdvantages)......
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I'm interested, too. If it works in Michigan, it'll work almost anywhere. Let us know!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”