Here's a fun new problem...

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
wytbishop

Here's a fun new problem...

Post by wytbishop »

So last weekend I washed my car before taking over to a friend's to do some work. the next day the temperature dropped...like REALLY dropped. It's been in the -30 to -40C range all week. So the problem is that the latch mechanisms in the doors were still wet and they are now frozen solid. I cannot get my doors open. I can't get the hatch open either because the lock cylinder is not functional. The car is equipped with an aftermarket remove door lock system, and I know the door is unlocked but when I lift the handle there is no feeling of the latch mechanism releasing.

I don't have a heated space to move it to and I would rather not pay to tow it somewhere. It could be several days before the weather warms up enough to thaw it out.

Any ideas?
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
lowflyinmx3

Re: Here's a fun new problem...

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

is it the same on both sides? you don't feel anything when you lift up on the passenger door either? I would say put de-icer in the locks but you said it was already unlocked. Don't feel too bad tho, i just had to use a torch to heat up my door knob to get into my house.lol
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot
94drumx3

Post by 94drumx3 »

can you get in thru the trunk? if you can, move it inside a garage and set heaters all around.
or pray for a really warm day. thats the best i've got
Never be afraid to try...amateurs built the ark, professionals built the titanic.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Same on both sides. it feels like the handle isn't connected to anything inside the door. Hatch lock was damaged during a breakin attempt so no way I can get in back there either.

My worst fear is that the linkage came apart in the door when the latch wouldn't give. I don't know what I'd do then.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

so it sounds like you have tried torching the locks? it sounds like you are correct with water getting down inside the door and freezing the linkage...

worse case scenario... you can remove the fender and door to get inside... I know it sounds crazy but I did that one time since I didn't want to pay somebody to unlock my car with the keys inside :oops: :roll:
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Put some WD40 in the keyhole.... the petroleum in the WD40 will keep it from freezing up so much
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The key is never used to luck and unlock the car. The car is equipped with remote door locks which act directly on the linkage. Unlocking the doors in not the problem. I didn't think there would be enough moisture in the actual latch mechanism to cause this problem.

The removing the door through the fender idea is plausible though. That Mooeggs guy is handy.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
jamesmx3

Post by jamesmx3 »

pour warm water on it, if its frozen then it'll melt be quick though, so it doesnt freeze that too! just an idea if its not the linkage
1997 1.6 16v DOHC uk spec gs, 17" wolfrace triad, 2.0l probe s/s header magnaflow high flow cat, powerflow custom catback, CAI, zx2 struts w/ -40mm lesjofors springs

http://www.uk-mx3.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I'm gonna try getting some brake clean in there I think. I hope that the alcohol content of the solvent will melt things.

Does any body have a spare door latch sitting around that they can take a picture of for me. I need to see exactly how the linkage acts on it to allow it to open.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Raven95150

Post by Raven95150 »

Here are a few ideas:

Have you tried actually pulling out on the door? The latch could be open and the door just frozen shut.

Try a slim jim/coathanger/something similar to push/pull on the linkages inside the door.

Try and get the window to move down a little bit or carefully use something to wedge the top of the door out, then use a slim jim/coathanger to pull on the inside door handle.

Since the hatch lock is already messed up, you could drill it out or break it apart to get the hatch open.
No more MX-3
2005 Hyundai Tiburon GT
95 F-150...6" lift, 35" tires
ElectricEnergy

Post by ElectricEnergy »

Come on guys, you live in Canada and you cant get into a frozen car? ;)

First off, avoid brake cleaner. I'm pretty sure it eats through paint.

It sounds like your door isn't even latched, its just frozen on. Push really hard on the edges of the door. Don't pull on them, just push them into the side of the car. Work your way around the entire door frame. You should feel/hear the ice crunching.

After you've done that a bunch, you should be able to get it open. This worked on my car last winter... YMMV though.
KL-ZE Swap - OBX SS Headers - 2.5" Exhaust - Falken Azenis Tires - H&R Springs - ZX-2 Struts - CAI - Front & Rear Tower Bar - AWR Motor Mounts - 100hp wet shot (yet to be tested)
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Agree with the idea that the doors may be frozen shut.

Warn Door seals will retain moisture and freeze themselves to the door frame... thus, preventing you from opening the door.

it sucks.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Well I'm not new to winter. I've experienced the frozen weatherstripping many a time. This is not like that. I first attempted to pull the door open then, with a flat screwdriver and a rag to pry the door open. It's firmly latched and not moving. I could probably wedge the top of the door open as it moved a few millimeters when I was prying. I may try to reach the hatch release lever and see if I can get in that way.

Last resort will be to have it towed to my brother in laws heated garage.

Thanks for all your ideas guys.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
jason5151

Post by jason5151 »

It sounds like you actual lock mecanism that secures to the latch is not moving even after pushing your unlock button,the mechanical- electrical latch is not unlocking thus keeping you from getting in your car because the locking mechanism is frozen!
once you thaw your car make sure you lubricate the whole linkage to prevent this from happening in the future!
1996 mx-3 black 1.8 v6
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I have a handle and a door that shows the door linkage....

I can send you a picture that might help guide you to fix the problem on your own if you'd like
My old truck's door used to freeze shut, not the latch mechanism, the whole door. that was kinda fun, trying to get into that...
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”