KLZE swap what year is the best.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Buddha

KLZE swap what year is the best.

Post by Buddha »

I am in the market for a MX 3 GS and want to do the KLZE millenia swap. What year is the easiest to swap or best to swap. I know to stay away from 1996 because of OBD2 (Im not going standalone). Im going car shopping in the next couple days and have a couple of each year set up. Just wondering if one year was better than the other. Thanks for the advice guys.
OutlaW

Re: KLZE swap what year is the best.

Post by OutlaW »

my car is a 97 , i have OBD2 and i will change to a KLZE ... it isnt that hard ... :welder:
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

92-94 i believe are OBD1 92 & 93 have the nicer seats and the plain dash, 94 has the cool dash but i don't like the plain seats.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
Buddha

Post by Buddha »

What about the 95 and does anyone have any pics of what a 94 dash look like. Is it the same as a 95. The majority of the MX3 that are for sale in my area are 1995. I wanna go with an OBD1 so I can get a probinator chip. Is there any way to tell between OBD1 and OBD2 on a 95 by visually looking and not taking apart the car. thanks for the quick response guys.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

The '94+ dashes are the same, the "bubble style". The OBD-II connector has to be accessible without taking any parts off the car. It is located under the passenger side dash, near the center console and the ecu. If you lay on your back on the passenger side floor and look up, you should see it, if there is one.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

I went through this quest before!
Check out:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=61081&hilit=obdii

Basically you want to have 3 connectors on your ECU for it to be obdI, so go have a look at your ECU, there's one quickly removable panel in the way.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

CARB - the California Air Resources Board, made OBD-II mandatory for all cars manufacured for the 1996 model year, but Mazda started to produce OBD-II compliant cars in mid 1995. This is contrary to what has been stated by Yoda in that other thread, but my old 95' RS was manufactured in May 95' and it was OBD-II. There are reportedly both OBD-I and II 1995 models.

I have not researched it, but I have given some thought to the issue of swapping an OBD-I ZE into an OBD-II car and I think the only real issue is the wire harness will be slightly different. It seems to me if you could get the appropriate harness and ECU it shoud not be an issue. Going stand alone to overcome this issue seems drastic, unless there's something I am not considering.

what am I missing? I'll search.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Buddha

Post by Buddha »

I am now the proud owner of a 1992 GS MX-3. Now comes the fun part, engine swap and suspension upgrade.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”