total weight of UR MX-3

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
Limegreen mx-3

total weight of UR MX-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

I have been for the past few weeks striping and taking out useless BS i don't need on the MX-3.

92 mazda MX-3 u all know whats in it

about a few months ago i was at 2,120lbs car alone.

i wonder what it is now. reason for this post just wondering what u guys weight at..

full cage is coming in some what soon im going custom made.

hopefully i'll be at 2100-2200 with the cage in.

doubt it
Last edited by Limegreen mx-3 on January 16th, 2008, 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
JM1EC-V6

Re: total weight of UR MX-3

Post by JM1EC-V6 »

1994 V6 MTX (K8) EMPTY GAS:

1120kg (2460lb)
'94 Mx-3 GS-R SE, KL-ZE Interprep. (From '96 PGT KL)
1110Kg
-Interprep KL31 Spec.
ported heads, Polished combustion chamber,3 angle vlv job,10.3:1 C.R.,0.020'' O.S.,KL31 cam,-0.007'' heads,Long neck IM,KL31 TB, Hotshot headers,2.25'' exhaust,Magnaflow cat
ImageImageImage
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

mines use to weigh that much full interior all motor with me in it mines is a 4cly 92 model

2450lbs me in it
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

I've always wondered this... where can you weigh a car? maybe like a truckstop or something? :confused2:
jamesmx3

Post by jamesmx3 »

we have a weigh bridge at work, just like big weigh scales its accurate to 5kg. sure any builders yard will have one for trucks and stuff
mazdamx3freak

Post by mazdamx3freak »

Limegreen mx-3 wrote:I have been for the past few weeks striping and taking out useless BS i don't need on the MX-3.

92 mazda MX-3 u all know whats in it

about a few months ago i was at 2,120lbs car alone.

i wonder what it is now. reason for this post just wondering what u guys weight at..

full cage is coming in some what soon im going custom made.

hopefully i'll be at 2100-2200 with the cage in.

doubt it
limegreen, hey man im trying to get a good estimate of what mines at also and mine is stripped the F*** out so i was wondering if u could give a summory of you weight reductions, it would be very helpful thanx!
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

well i strip the whole rear end inside nothing but bare metal also took off the BS shyt inside the rear bumber.

everything under the dash was all gone blower fans the plastic vent tubing the heate core all removed.

all the ac piping and AC itself as well as PS pump and as well as ps cooling tube and ac condener all removed.

came in at 2120 car alone also remember 92 models 4cly come with drum brakes weight a lot less than disc setup.

here are some old pis of how empty it use to look alot emptier now.

OLD ALL MOTOR SETUP
bp_turbo94

Post by bp_turbo94 »

i got a 94 rs and everything is out inculding the seats i dont no much it weights but im hopeing to get it lower then my freinds maita
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

At my local garbage dump, they weigh you to see how much you leave. When I do my car diet, I'm going to bring a load there, and see what I weigh on the way out.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

fowljesse wrote:At my local garbage dump, they weigh you to see how much you leave. When I do my car diet, I'm going to bring a load there, and see what I weigh on the way out.
:idea: brilliant plan... I still haven't found a scale near me... :x
Volones

Post by Volones »

places that have scales that 'can' weigh cars (that I can remember right off hand).

Grain elevators - they weigh farmer's crops
Landscaping Supply - they weigh trucks full of rock for driveways and such
Garbage Dumps - they weigh all kinds of stuff
Truck Stops - they weigh 18 wheelers (not all have scales)

that's all I can think of right now.
Be aware that most of these places will think you're crazy for trying to weigh a little car, but as long as you pay them their fee they won't mind, and they'll have something to talk about the rest of the day.
Current Hypermiler, future EcoModder.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

thank you for the suggestions sir!
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

Wow, I did all same stuff limegreen did and mine weighs 2320 on the scale at the track. That's with the front seats and carpet in, but nothing in behind the front seats, all ac/heating components removed, all noise deadening material dry iced off, bumper supports removed etc etc.

I guess the V6 model weighs a lot more. Maybe the track scale was a little off. I've always thought 2320 was a little heavy for all that weight reduction.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

hppwdn wrote:Wow, I did all same stuff limegreen did and mine weighs 2320 on the scale at the track. That's with the front seats and carpet in, but nothing in behind the front seats, all ac/heating components removed, all noise deadening material dry iced off, bumper supports removed etc etc.

I guess the V6 model weighs a lot more. Maybe the track scale was a little off. I've always thought 2320 was a little heavy for all that weight reduction.

the V6 model weigh more than a 4cly model.. im guessing u have power everything maybe even a moonroof.... not mine all manual operated.. and no moon or sun roof.

I have a 92 4cly model. I had all AC in the engine bay and under the dash removed including AC fan. along with all the PS bullshyt PS cooler and all removed.. front bumper and rear bumper guard removed.. all the tubing from the ac vents removed along with the heater core and blower fan.. removed the medal bracket thats on the glove box.. along with misc. brackets in the real.. windshield reservoir removed. hood brace removed its a flimsy hood. entire exhaust system removed and heat shield brackets. running open downpipe with my turbo setup.. hell i don't even have my OEM wiring harness gotta love a standalone for that along with OEM BS removed.. like VAF, charcoal canister, gone.

in other ward anything i didn't need I got rid off. i weight 2270 with me in it.. and 2120 without me.. My 93 converted 6cly to turbo 1.6 sohc weight more than my other MX-3..

believe me i think i have removed a lot more than u have..u be surprise how much drum brakes weight a lot less than disc brakes...
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

Short of the exhaust, heat shields, and hood prop I've removed everything you mentioned. I have a sunroof as well. I leave my exhaust on so I can drive around town, but I have a cutout for the track.

I went and compared the stock weights on edmunds.com to see how much less the 4cyl weighs stock.

4cyl stock, 2332
6cyl stock, 2541

limegreen 2120, weight loss from stock, 212
hppwdn 2320, weight loss from stock, 221

So it looks like the difference is just in the stock weight. Our weight loss is very similar. Maybe one day I'll remove the heat shields, convert to manual windows to lose a few more pounds. I know the V6 turbo components probably weigh more than the 4cyls because of the extra piping. I'd like to see a sub 2200 weight with the front seats still in the car.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”