lowering without new struts

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
kellywellz

lowering without new struts

Post by kellywellz »

I know you CAN lower your car without buying new struts and only getting lowering springs but what are the problems with doing this, can ur vehicle still be aligned correctly? im really just looking for the cheapest way to lower my mx-3. Also i have a friend who lowered there car with only buying lowering springs and it turned out nicely.
blue 92 mx3,95 bp swap, 97 kia tranny, spec stage 1 clutch,white excel rims.
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

One problem is that the stock struts aren't designed to operate in the range that they will operate in with lowering springs. They will always be operating in the nearly compressed stage.

Your struts will likely begin to leak prematurely, causing you to wish you had just upgraded them in the beginning because now you have to take them all apart AGAIN.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

The Eibach springs will lower your car about an inch and they'll fit on the stock struts without modification. However, you will need an alignment. You can get the springs for about $225+shipping and an alignment is about $90 around my parts.

I don't know if the other popular lowering options will install on the stock struts. I didn't really look far beyond the Eibachs.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

I made that mistake back in the day. I thru on some cheap coilovers. The result: I blew my front struts, the ride quality was harsh, eventually the bolt off the top stripped the threads on the strut and was sitting upside down in my strut mount. I now have a set of HP's and eibachs.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”