header advice

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
94mxthree

header advice

Post by 94mxthree »

Hey guys need some advice,been doing some searching but cant find a real good answer,i have a 1.6 dohc motor and am looking to put a header on it,i would like to know are they worth it?any draw backs or should i just keep the stock manifold on it and put a new exhaust on it?
jamesmx3

Post by jamesmx3 »

theres been a few similar posts to this and the general consensus is that opening up the exhaust isnt great for performance. however there are headers availible, one or two from corksport or the probe 2.0l one with some modification.

from what ive read, with out upgrading cams to stage 2 miata ones replacing the header pushes the power band up the rev range meaning you need to be at high revs to feel the bennifit of it.

a nice jap style rear can or cat back system accompanied by a CAI would give you a nice look and sound for a lot less money.
1997 1.6 16v DOHC uk spec gs, 17" wolfrace triad, 2.0l probe s/s header magnaflow high flow cat, powerflow custom catback, CAI, zx2 struts w/ -40mm lesjofors springs

http://www.uk-mx3.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
94mxthree

Post by 94mxthree »

So if i put a performance head on it with cams and a header with a new exhaust,what would be the gains then? anybody got any ideas?
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

just so you know corksport stoppd selling the genie DOHC headers a while back and they werent that good anyways. our engines dont do too well all motor like the hondas. if you want alot of power best bet is to boost it. best of luck with your build :)
Jon
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
zoom_zoom94mx3

Post by zoom_zoom94mx3 »

I have a 2.0 probe header on mine, but unfortunately other than it looks really good and may bit a bit lighter, without cams it wont change your performance. It might actually hinder it. From what i have read, unless you are planning on installing cams, it is just a lot of work without noticeable performance changes.
94 mazda mx3 rs 1.6l DOHC... probe 4-2-1 header, 2" catback, a spec CAI, advanced ignition timing, NGK plugs/ wires, obx light wight crank pulley
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2754605/1
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

exactly.
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”