MY PRESETS AND CLOCK KEEP RESETING WHEN I TURN OFF MY CAR

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
GTracin07

MY PRESETS AND CLOCK KEEP RESETING WHEN I TURN OFF MY CAR

Post by GTracin07 »

HELP IS IT A FUSE IVE CHECKED EVERTHING I CANT SEEM TO NAIL IT HELLLLLPPPPP

"it was in all caps because im fusterated"

sorry
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS
1992 Chevy Camaro RS 5.0
1983 Chevy Camaro Z28 383ci
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by Dali »

if this is on your cd player you have the ignition and power hooked up wrong or backwords.
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Yup. The red memory wire from the deck needs a 12-volt source that always has power, even with the ignition and accessories off.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
GTracin07

thanks but

Post by GTracin07 »

ok that would fix my radio but what about the digital clock in the dash it keeps resseting also???
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS
1992 Chevy Camaro RS 5.0
1983 Chevy Camaro Z28 383ci
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

I think Tunes67 had that same issue over the past couple of months. You may want to ask him how he rectified it. IIRC his ecu wasn't getting constant power, or something along those lines. I don't know, try PM'ing him.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Mine was a short in the Gauge Cluster. I replaced the entire gauge cluster and the problem went away. However.. I have seen someone else have the same described problem when they installed a gauge pod and one of the screws used to hold the gauge pod in place went to far into the metal of the A pillar and punctured the wiring harness leading to the sunroof/dome light switch assembly. Causing a short circuit which resulted in similar if not the same issue.

I had a heck of a time tracking my short down. My brother and I ripped out the entire dash of my car so I could check the entire wiring harness behind the dash. If I were to run into the same issue again.. eh.. I'd probably take the car to a automotive electrician and just tell them to "Fix it".

If you have a multimeter (one that beeps when continuity is detected is best) You can check your various circuits to see if any of them (at the fuse block) have continuity to ground. If you try this.. make sure your battery is disconnected before you start testing circuits.. otherwise you will fry your multimeter. Thats how I tracked mine down.. in my case either the tach, fuel gauge or water temp gauge was some how shorting out. Cant tell which one without ripping open the gauge cluster itself since they all use a common ground setup.

Also if you have had your ECU out or replaced... make sure its mounted correctly and grounded to the chassis and all bolt locations are tight. If the ECU isnt grounded well.. it can cause flakey issues.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
ScooterBovine
Supporting Member

Post by ScooterBovine »

I had this problem recently. It was the ROOM Fuse. Not the radio one. Check that fuse if you haven't already.
No more MX-3.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”