HEI MOD help

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
e11evon

HEI MOD help

Post by e11evon »

Ok I am about to go through my 4th Disty, I have read GroHarlems post in FAQ ,and I am ready to go trhough with the HEI MOD...I am a little unsure about somethings, seems simple...just a certain couple of things I am not sure about.

1. Without our with out external coil.
Why or why wouldnt I want to use an external coil?

2. Moded Disty Cap - how the hell do you Mod the cap like that? And the link to but one premade is "done".

http://mx-3.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t= ... ht=hei+mod

any help will be greatful.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

the external coil is much cheaper than replacing the internal coil of the disty... and I would think it could give better power and be more reliable.

the cap is not that hard to mod... just take your time with it...
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

the HEI mod w/o external coil is just a fix for those who have a bad internal ignightor.

I'd suggest using an external coil.

You need the 4-pin HEI
Blaster 2 coil
and a MSD DIY coil wire kit (cause it comes with a power tower)

To mod the cap.. make sure you have a countersink bit

http://www.bartleby.com/images/A4images/A4contsk.jpg

it will be yourbest friend when installing the power-tower into the cap.

Oh.. and get yourself a new cap and rotor when you do this, tat way your not modding one worn out.
e11evon

Post by e11evon »

ok I changed up the disty, car hasnt cut off yet...but I still dont understand how teh hell to do that mod...you guys are telling me everything except how to properly do put that ni[pplle on the Disty Cap. Help, and thanks for the input.
rodney5756

Post by rodney5756 »

i also had a question about the mod...but it seems my thread died....am i supposed to cut the igmodule wire to cpu from factory igmodule? or am i not...?????i have seen it written up both ways....
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

oh by the way, if its your coil that dies.. its only like 45 dllrs at autozone new with 2 year warrany i believe. you gotta have the coil tested tho for that. Only way iw as able tot est my friends is using it in my car.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
e11evon

Post by e11evon »

Ok, dude...i have no Idea what to cut, lol. But I can tell ya we are getting no love here. I changed out the disty and it ran normal...then to be on the safe side I changed out my spark plug wires with some used ones (in better condition) from a junked MX3. After I changed the wires out the car stutters until it reaches about 4,000 rpms. What the hell is that all about...I think my spark plug wire fire order number #6 is missing the rubber boot...could that cause the problem?

And please...you guy that have done the HEI disty Cap mod, please show me how to do the cap...Groharlems post helped alot but it didnt explain the disty cap mod. Barry you gotta know man...my car and myself will be greatly thankful...I dont wanna buy another car.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

rodney5756 wrote:i also had a question about the mod...but it seems my thread died....am i supposed to cut the igmodule wire to cpu from factory igmodule? or am i not...?????i have seen it written up both ways....
According to the original V6 FAQ thread, If you're doing the HEI mod because of a defective ignition module, you should cut the orange wire to prevent the ECU from triggering the ignition, interfering with the HEI module. I would cut it even if your module is not broke, because it may break in the future and you'll have one less thing to diagnose.
e11evon wrote:ok I changed up the disty, car hasnt cut off yet...but I still dont understand how teh hell to do that mod...you guys are telling me everything except how to properly do put that ni[pplle on the Disty Cap. Help, and thanks for the input.
http://www.prdonline.com/catalog/produc ... ucts_id=28

This is the link to the online store that sells the modified cap for Ford Probe. I'm not 100% sure what to do as I haven't tried yet, but I figure it's much nicer than anything I could do myself, so I decided to buy one.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

how to attach the power tower...

You need:
Drill
Drill bit
countersync bit.

The power tower has 4 pieces
1. the sleve
2. the bolt
3. the bolt cap
4. wire mesh

If you look into your disty cap, there is a flat raised area on the inside of the cap. Thats called the band. Its a strip of metal inside the plastic of the cap.

Get a drill bit the size of the bolt in the power tower.

Drill through the band all the way through the cap. Do not put it in the center.. put it offset a bit from the center of the cap. Put it in the center of the band but down a little ways.

Use the countersync to make a beveled hole where the other hole already is.. but do NOT drill through the metal band. This allows the bolt head to set "inset" in the hole so the rotor doesnt hit it.

Now.. put the mesh on the bolt, slide it in the hole. Next, put the powertower on the bolt on the outside of the cap and put the bolt cap on it and tighten it down. Put some RTV on the head of the bolt to prevent any contact with anything in the cap. Let the RTV dry.

The powertower is now done.

It's that easy
teribble

Post by teribble »

sweet i will also soon be doing this mod looks great, i will put this to the test. i use my mx3 for a daily driver and drive about 200 miles round trip. now sure if thats a good idea but i'll soon find out.
exile84

Post by exile84 »

Can you do the HEI mod on a disty that has went bad?? Cause I have tried everything that I could think of, and I am still not getting a spark
1992 Mx-3 GS. ATX to MTX swap. Integra short throw shifter, and CAI. HEI mod. Accell Canister. 3A racing muffler. Straight pipe.
ImageImageImage
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

exile84 wrote:Can you do the HEI mod on a disty that has went bad?? Cause I have tried everything that I could think of, and I am still not getting a spark
If your distributor cap or rotor are malfunctioning in some way (cracked, broken, worn out), you'd need a new one (cap and rotor are cheap, the electronic bits inside are pricey), but the HEI module eliminates the internal coil (if you add an external coil) and ignitor, which is what typically stops working. By doing the mod, you're bypassing the internal coil (if you add an external coil) and ignitor and only using the rotor and cap to distribute the spark. You can actually remove all of the internal componenets from the stock distributor if you want after you've installed the HEI module.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”