tokico shocks

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
bazzle

tokico shocks

Post by bazzle »

just purchased thses shocks and was woundering if i can use my factory mounts? and i also need two mounts for the rear id there any recamondations for thses as well as the front
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

The tokico are basically a performance OEM replacement, so you can definately use your old mounts. If you want to get new mounts go to the local parts store and buy some...
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

if your doing the back ones do the front.. remember to get two new front strut bearings while your at it.. there only 15-20$..
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

The tokico's swap directly in. I replaced mine 2 yeas ago, and it was straightforward. The "steering bearings" were still good so I did not replace them. But they are cheap, if you do not want to have the car on jackstands for a day or so while they come in, should you find they are worn or cracked then you could just replace them. What I did need to order in extra was the dust sheaths, as they are pretty much gone by the time one needs to replace the shocks. Four corner replacement is needed too, if you got the blues, as they are better performance than the original, and it would not do to have two ends with unmatched damping rates.
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

tomorrow im going to put some new brake pads, and they have tokico shocks ... gonna ask if they can get me a set :D

ps: If i get the tokico shocks, can i put H&R springs on them ??
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

Yup.

PS. ZX2 struts are cheaper and IMO better...
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

Thats what i'm riding on.. tokico zx2 struts and H&R springs
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

Actually I do not get this whole ZX2 strut swap thing, at least not based on Canadian prices. When I replaced the OEM struts with Tokicos I looked at all the threads here on using the ZX2 struts, and the various extra parts one had to buy, such as the bearings for steering, and the slight rear ride difference, and concluded that the price savings were so small it was not worth the extra effort. The MX3 Tokico struts are a direct swap with no extra parts needed, and, while more expensive, they ended up about the same cost overall since I did not have to buy any of the extra stuff to make the ZX2 work, and I did not have to spend any time adapting anything. Now if you got a set of ZX2 struts in good shape from a junkyard I could fully understand why it was an advantage. But not buying new at Canadian prices.

As for lowering, both sources of Tokicos will work with lowering springs.
Kirk95gs
Supporting Member

Post by Kirk95gs »

two sturt bearings cost me 35$CDN.. when replacing the front struts you should replace the bearings anyways.. the front mounts had to be dremiled out a little bit .. it took me maybe 10mins.. if your old mounts are in bad shape then you have to buy new ones anyways.. thats the only thing that is diffrent.. Oh and you have to get camber bolts.. I got a set for 20$ for 4... and for 200$cnd for a set of 4 zx2 s/r sturts vs betwen $80-$110 for ONE STRUT of the tokico HP's...(thats $320-440) hmmm I went with the the zx2's.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I did not put camber bolts on mine and the camber is not noticeably bad.

Including ball joints, tie rod ends, struts, springs, junk yard parts and the alignment i spent <$750.

Changing the ball joints and tie rod ends took more time than the entire rest of the job.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

gang, the guy from the shop told me that they have put tokico shocks with lowering springs, and the ride was not good :( ( too soft on the bends )

As they were placing my brake pads ( i have them allready :) nice pads ... at least they look good, i cant brake hard yet ... )
i asked for the shocks they had in the shop ...
As soon as i get my hands on a pair of H&R springs ... im gonna order one of these :

KAYABA : KYB
http://www.kyb.com/products/detail.php?ID=1 -
Kayaba shocks ... they looked really nice, even if they are like OEM, but with a smaller shock rod

what do you guys think ?
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I just threw a set in the steel bin yesterday. I'm sure they're great as long as you don't put DropZone springs on them.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

I was looking today for H&R springs ... i cant afford them
They are : 259 euros ... 384 $US

i mean, come on , for a set of springs ?
I asked Joroen from holland, if i can get the AST springs that he has for sale ... much better price, and 40mm lowering
Kayaba shocks still :)
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Wow, that's a rip-off. Over here H&Rs cost $200.
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

whisper, i cant help it ... im a computer tech , and i even work for a great American company, but we get so very little payment ( 800 euros a month )
Portugal has, low payment and heavy prices... this is rubbish :cry:

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”