Your Own Garage

Off-Topic Discussions
X3RCKT

Your Own Garage

Post by X3RCKT »

Well I have been doing alot of research and posting this on different forums to get opions, thoughts, and general feedback from people that actually work on their cars.

I am putting together a company idea. I have financial backing from a big business owner that will lend me a substancial ammount of money to get this off the ground but still trying to find out what kind of responce it will get.

Just to put into perspective where this is coming from... I have always had a garage in the past, so this was never really an issue. Since my recent move, I have went from a full service shop to a one stall garage, which, like it or not, I have let the wife have for her and the kids. She is the one that has to pack them into the car when it is cold and unload them again so I dont feel back walking 15 extra feet to get in my truck or MX3.

So here is the idea/plan/purposal.

I am in the process of starting...

Your Own Garage

This site will have a total of 10 working bays. 2 for body work, 1 for paint prep and sanding, 2 paint booths, and 5 for mechanical. I will break each bay down.

1. Mechanical - 5 Bays ($75.00 per day, 450.00 per week,1 free day)
-Primary use is for motor/tranny and drive train replacement.
-Each bay will have its own full body mechanical Lift (10000 pound rating)
-Each will have its own air drop lines
-Each will have its own Cherry Picker and Motor Stand
-Each will be supplied with 2 shop lights

2. Body Work - 2 Bays ($50.00 per day, $300.00 per week, 1 free day)
-Primary Use Body panel REPLACEMENT and modifications (no sanding allowed)
-Surrounded by Weld Screens to prevent weld splatter onto other vehicles
-Plug-ins for Wirefeed welders (welders available for rent)
-Shop lights

3. Paint Prep ($50.00 per day, $300.00 per week, 1 free day)
-Primary Use sanding or griding for pre-paint preperation.
-2 Air hose hookups (air tools, grinders, sanders etc available for rent)
-Extremely well lighted for clarity of body work finish
-Powerful ventilation system for filtration of dust particles
-Dust Masks Required and supplied.

4. Paint Booths ($100.00 per day, $600 per week, 1 free day)
-Professional grade compressor air supplied room
-Fully filered lines for water and oil contamination
-Air lines
-Paint guns available for rent
-In house display of House of Kolor and Dupont paints, clearcoats, and primmers.
-Fully ventilated and filtered air supply
-Air filtering mask required and for sale or supply your own
-Paper painting suits required and supplied

**All weekly rentals start on MONDAY and end Sunday night**

**3 Lincoln 255C Mig 60% Duty Cycle welders available for rent**

**Aftermarket parts, wheel/tire combos for sale in office**

**Tool sets available for purchase from office**

**Must have signed liability waver for self and any persons working in rented bay**

**Anyone under the age of 18 must have guardian or written concent to be in work bay.**

**Title for Vehicle or proof of ownership must be produced at time of rental**

**Tools for all job applications available for rent in tool crib**

**Not responsible for damage to cars due to work being performed**

**Broadband internet with wireless router for use of laptops in bay areas.**

**PCs available for use for internet investigation/help**

**Ebay Brokerings, shipping and delivery available**

**Financial Aid for Ebay purchases available WAC and deposit**

I am not sure which brand of tools I plan on offering yet. I have a few Snap On tool sellers that I know that work out of their trucks but Snap On is extremely expensive. I may go with Kobalt since they are made by Mac and offer lifetime warranty just like Snap On. Pretty much all of my hand tools are Kobalt that I use now.

I will be offering rental of all sizes of torque tools from Sturtevant Richmont since I am good friends with the Owners and the warranty center in North Dakota was built by a friend of mine and myself.

Really this is aimed at those who either want to do it themselves and dont have the proper facility and/or tools to do the job, or want to learn how to do it in a professional environment with the aid of someone that can help them.

We will be offering classes by certified mechanics and body personel. (This is a future project)
-Basic Engine Mechanics
-Basic Body Repair
-Body Painting
-Fiberglass repair and customization
-Advanced Engine Repair
-Advanced Body Repair and Modification

I am sure there are a few things I have not added that I cant think of right off hand. I had written up the business scope and purposal this afternoon but didnt bring it with me to work.

This is really the basics and you can get the picture of what I am getting at. Opinions on the idea, the pricing, or all of the above please post. I am looking for serious feedback.

Thanks everyone!
Volones

Post by Volones »

When I was in the military, we had a similar facility, although it didn't include the paint, or bodywork bays. We could use the bay and sign out the tools necessary to do the work. It was really useful, and I would love to have such a facility available to me locally now.

One concern that I have (from experience) that you didn't mention...I think you should have a fenced in long-term parking area behind (out of sight) your building. This would be really helpful for people waiting on parts, paychecks, or for those only able to do the work on certain days. It would also allow you to get more use from the bays by people that are actively working on their cars.

Another consideration is the general cleanliness of the building. I KNOW it's difficult (read: impossible) to keep a repair shop totally clean, but for the safety of your customers and your own financial liability (lost/stolen tools) it would be best to have a policy in place to address the cleaning of the bays and the return of the tools.

Vol
Current Hypermiler, future EcoModder.
nonamekid

Post by nonamekid »

^^^ I also have access to a military facility. These are really nice as I do not have my own garage or any of the tools. I was at the shop this weekend. They have two drive on lifts, and two 4-point lifts. They also have 5 flat bays, and one motorcycle/ATV work bay with a lift for these in that bay. A basic set of tools is provided with each work bay, and we can rent by the hour. I was there for 4.5 hours on Saturday while I changed out the transmission in my festiva. They are also a full time repair shop, so they have knowledgeable employees, as well as specialty tools. I know a private company would have to charge more than they do, in order to make ends meet. They also have a NAPA parts store at the shop, mind you all they carry is the very basics. The shop is maybe 12x20 and they have all the specialty tools in there also. The shop has a couple of cherry pickers, engine stands, jacks, and other major tools. All of these big tools are shared by everybody who is working on cars. They also have a chain hoist that is mounted on an I-beam that you can slide from one bay to the next. Most of the time it is not used so it services the 5 flat bays very nicely. All the tools they have are Snap-On or Craftsman. Alot of the people use the bays to do basic repair, ie shock replacement, alternators, starters, oil change, brake work, etc.

I love your idea, and have been waiting for someone to build one of these locally, so that I do not have to run to the base when I do need to do work.
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

I have seen one of those in michigan
http://www.usarentabay.com/

It is a bit far away from my place - otherwise i will be there all the time....
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Re: Your Own Garage

Post by monty73741 »

I would scrap the paint booth there are alot & i mean alot of state & federal regulations when it comes to painting...& also the OSHA laws reguarding saftey regulations
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com

Return to “Off-Topic”