Don't wanna leave.

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Don't wanna leave.

Post by umcamara »

I love my car, but as of recently have become obsessed with selling it and buying a 5th generation Honda Prelude. Hopefully someone can talk me out of that. (Premium fuel = expensive to operate)

The point of my post is that I've been searching around on some of the Prelude forums. Now I don't know if it's because I've spent millions of hours on this forum in the past few months and have gotten to really like it and most of the members, but it seems the Prelude forums really bite.

They're confusing to navigate through, and it doesn't seem like they have any solid members (that wasn't meant in a dirty way :oops: ). like Tunes, Yoda, Limegreen, SoloRyder, the list goes on. Everybody's posts there are like, "I want more hp. How much hp will that give me. Where can I buy some hp. I need more hp cuz I got smoked in an illegal street race." It just doesn't seem like a very friendly place with any actual substance. If only I could convince everyone here to buy a Prelude.

Anyway that's my rant.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

What makes you wanna sell it and buy a Prelude?

Im not going to lie to you they are gorgeous cars! i personally would like one for my self as a Daily driver. I had thoughts of selling mine to and buying something RWD but then i did the KLZE swap and now im HOOKED! i love this car now, wow does it have power for something this little haha.

Yeah i guess the Honda/Acura forums would be alittle kiddish since alot of younger people see all these Honda's around with there rich body kits and everything and think there cool! lol!. Im not saying the whole forum is like that, but the majority is cause they are all young.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

True, i've been on other Honda forums, same deal. You get a bit of that here too tho :shrug:

Just remember tho...., it costs HEAPS to get a Honda to go faster, and you'll need some earplugs too! :D
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Smith18 wrote:What makes you wanna sell it and buy a Prelude
I love the look of the fifth gen Prelude. I've got a '96 MTX RS, and against the warnings of everybody here I planned to do a KLZE swap over this winter. My plan was to buy a written off GS and swap everything. I've been gung-ho about that idea for the past few months. Believe me, I'm in Mech. Engineering at the university here, and I haven't done a thing this term. I spend all my time on this forum, and planning for my KLZE makover.

What makes me suddenly want to ditch the Mx-3 & get a Prelude? Well, the MX-3's silver. I was gonna get it painted black when I emptied the engine bay for the swap. I quess there's nothing wrong with silver, but after looking at SoloRyder's black MX, I fell in love with it. (Apparently I love a lot of things). It just seems like a TON of work to do a color swap, and a KLZE swap in an RS. On top of that, my MX has no airbags or A/C. I've been in a couple of really bad car crashes, and even though peoples' opinions on airbags are pretty split, my little sister and I would be done if it wasn't for the airbags in my old Sunfire. (I had no seatbelt on, she did. Always wear my seatbelt now.) I'm kinda a paranoid safety nut now. Prelude's a bit heavier = greater momentum = probability of you dying a little more, probability of me dying a little bit less. I'd drive a tank if I could.

I guess I could sell my MX and buy one with all that stuff, but I'm just lusting after that Lude.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Smith18

Post by Smith18 »

Aston Wards wrote:Just remember tho...., it costs HEAPS to get a Honda to go faster, and you'll need some earplugs too! :D
Haha so true.

And for "umcamara" i guess it all depends on whats your goal with a sports car? do you just wanna drive with style, or do you wanna go fast and still be stylish? haha i don't know.
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS, V6 KLZE 2.5L, CenterForce Duel Friction Clutch, Nylon Shifter Bushings (from Imazda.com), Integra Cold Air Intake, Millenia Intake Manifold, Indigo Gauges, Pacesetter Header->Resonator->2.5" piping->Dynomax Muffler, VSX Front and back bumpers from FX Designs, AWR Front and back Motor Mounts.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Well I wont tell you not to buy the quelude... I will point out that Honda repair costs are a LOT greater than mazda or toyota. Only Subarus are more expensive to work on than hondas. Most honda engines are interference engines too.. if the timing belt snaps while the engine is running.. get ready for a $1500 repair bill. Just something to consider if you go after the Lude.. find out when last it was done.. if they dont know when.. plan it as a expense that should be deducted from the price of the car.

As for selling your MX-3.. I think you would regret it. Since I joined this site almost 3 years ago.. I cant count how many times I have seen people come back looking for another MX-3 after trying a honda or some other car. I wish I had a 92-93 RS 5spd. That is the perfect commuter car in my mind.. gets great gas mileage.

I guess if I were to really advise you on your car choices.. I would say keep the RS as a daily and find a 94+ GS car to play with. I am biased against Honda's, though I will admit they are attractive looking. In anycase.. best of luck on your choice.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Dude stick with the KLZE plan and the MX3

A MX3 with a KLZE can take on a 5th Gen Prelude. Not by alot but its still quicker. I bet once you do the swap youll be happy you stayed with the MX3
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

My GF has a 5th gen prelude and she is trying to sell it... from my personal experience stick with the MX-3 for sure... although if you are worried about deadly car crashes just buy a truck or something lol :roll: that honda will not be any safer than the mx....
lowflyinmx3

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

This by far is the best car site I've ever come across. I think this website itself is one reason that people keep their mx-3 as long as they do. It's an awesome community that doesn't have to deal with the dumb post like you see in honda forums (I.E. your car is gay, mine honda turboed supercharged v4 is faster becuz i have a bodykit) lol. Another reason to keep it is probably one of the reasons you bought it in the first place: Because it's not a honda, it is a car that when it's shined up and looking nice people slow down and look and say dang thats a sweet ride. Thats why you should keep it.
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Tunes67 wrote:Most honda engines are interference engines too.. if the timing belt snaps while the engine is running.. get ready for a $1500 repair bill. Just something to consider if you go after the Lude..
That's what happened to my sister's H23 in her 4th gen...that's what it cost in parts alone...my dad and my cousin swapped the new head on so it didnt cost her anything in labor...timing belt was changed my a--...blew 3 months after she got it.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

I appreciate everyone's comments.

I just needed some people to talk me down from my Honda Prelude ledge.
I'm now thinkin' of buying a black V-6 MX. That way I don't have to do a color swap, and a KLZE swap in an RS. Who knows, maybe I'll even be happy with the K8 for awhile, it is quite a step up from the b6.

So I've begun searching all over the net for the right black V-6 Mx-3. Two questions though:

1) For some psychological reason which I'm not entirely sure of, I'm partial to buying one with roughly 100,000 km's (60,00 miles for those south of the border), even though I'll be swapping the engine anyway. Does anyone think it's necessary to go low mileage if you're just doing a swap. Are we allowed to get an odometer that accurately reflects the mileage on the engine. My assumption was that the odometer reflects the mileage on the chasis as well as the engine. Even if I put in a brand new engine, seeing 500,000 km's on the odometer would just drive me nuts.

2) If I was to buy an American one, and wanted my speedometer in Km/hr, could I just swap in a Canadian guage cluster, and everything would mesh up??

Probably have more little idiosyncratic questions. But that's it for now.

Thanks. :?:
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

1) Lower mileage is always better.. less wear on the suspension and interior as well as the engine. Plus.. with a K8 in decent condition.. you can buy all your bolt on goodies for it and THEN get the ZE down the road (route I went since I had a low mileage K8). Headers, CAI, HEI mod upgrade, Cat Back exaust.. etc.. And since the K8 will likely last a while being lower mileage.. you can do other upgrades or fun stuff like entertainment electronics (CarPC, Navigation, etc..) or upgrade your suspension. All the while saving for the ZE and a clutch upgrade.

2) You wouldnt have any issue swapping in gauge clusters with one exception. 92-93 RS Gauge clusters are Cable driven where as all other models (in north america at least) are Electronic and have no speedo cable.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”