Ticking From Motor... :S

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
JeremyP

Ticking From Motor... :S

Post by JeremyP »

1.8l has a little tic..almost a knock..comming from the motor but it goes away after its ben running for a while..any clue?
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Sounds like it could be the infamous "valve tap" issue. Do a quick search, and you will find more than I could possibly tell you.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
TREVO123

Post by TREVO123 »

your oil pump may be on the way out, and not gettin enough oil into the head,only time my car ticked was when i swapped heads, but that is becuz the head was bone dry of oil for so long.. and it took it few mins to get there.. signs of an oil pump going tho..

You have the Bp i take it if its a 1.8?
TREVO-Under major construction, Bp coming soon! TO a mx3 near you
1993 MX-3 RS,FULL BLITZ KIT(PROTOTYPE)17"10 SPOKE RIMS,SOHC 1.6L.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2189811
JeremyP

Post by JeremyP »

Ya its a BP. got the car a few months ago and i didnt think it was salvageable..now it gets a very sexy paintjob in a few weeks and its all commin togather..that ticking is really getting on my nerves tho, gonna have to do something about it

found this forum really helps on those days you just cant fingure out whats wrong with the damn thing.

thanks guys
TREVO123

Post by TREVO123 »

Try running some synthetic in there.. try 5w30 and it will gett everyin lubed quicker..
TREVO-Under major construction, Bp coming soon! TO a mx3 near you
1993 MX-3 RS,FULL BLITZ KIT(PROTOTYPE)17"10 SPOKE RIMS,SOHC 1.6L.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2189811
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

What the heck are you guys talking about? Without "hearing" the noise, there is no way for you to diagnose anything. Is the noise coming from the cylinder head or further down (block)? The most common noise that is associated with many B, K series Mazda engines is lifter noise. Lifters will make noise if an engine has not been run for some time or they are in dire need of a good cleaning. Oil will leak down over time and when finally started, oil is pumped up into the lifters to quite them down. Changing oil frequently (2500-3000 miles) is about the only way to prevent them from making a lot of noise and it doesn't matter what oil you use. Most synthetics are better than regular oils for good reasons. I would choose to run synthetic oil over regular oils any day, but not to temporarily "fix" a noise that probably won't do any good. Fix the problem and run synthetic oil. My favorite, Royal Purple. It's not the cheapest, but what is your engine worth to you..
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Depending on noise location, could also be worn timing belt idler/tensioner pulley. If it is, it'll get worse til it doesn't go away after warm-up. An inexpensive mech's stethoscope will help narrow down the source...
Image -Jim

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”