Can you use the original 5spd transmission w/ the BP-T???

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Moe_maX

Can you use the original 5spd transmission w/ the BP-T???

Post by Moe_maX »

I have a 94 DOHC 1.6 i want to get the BP-T... i have read the FAQ and all other sites regarding the swap but i didn't see any info on whether i can use my stock tranny with the BP-T... The engine comes with an AWD trany but would rather keep the same one i have now... it would cut down the cost significantly...

Thanking all in advance
Steve
aka Moe_maX
TREVO123

Post by TREVO123 »

Yes you can use the stock tranny, but you will also have to use the Stock Flywheel and clutch system. Using the stock tranny set up is not recommended as for it is not as strong as a G-series.
TREVO-Under major construction, Bp coming soon! TO a mx3 near you
1993 MX-3 RS,FULL BLITZ KIT(PROTOTYPE)17"10 SPOKE RIMS,SOHC 1.6L.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2189811
cyclonekid78

Post by cyclonekid78 »

^ +1
93 RS BPTurbo
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

TREVO123 wrote:Yes you can use the stock tranny, but you will also have to use the Stock Flywheel and clutch system. Using the stock tranny set up is not recommended as for it is not as strong as a G-series.
Can you use the G-series on the 92 4cyl?
Moe_maX

Post by Moe_maX »

so naturally the follow up question would be Can I use the AWD tranny and keep the car FWD? or do i need to go all the way with it and get a rear differential and make the car AWD?
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

you could block the tranny off so that it is only fwd, but your loosing power as there are percentages of power to the front and the rear. you dont have to do an awd setup you can just get a protege lx tranny and use it. Sell the gtr tranny
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
TREVO123

Post by TREVO123 »

Dark_Rider2k3 wrote:
TREVO123 wrote:Yes you can use the stock tranny, but you will also have to use the Stock Flywheel and clutch system. Using the stock tranny set up is not recommended as for it is not as strong as a G-series.

Yes you can, You have to change the mount with the protege lx/gt or the EGT mount, You will also have to use the g-series Clutch and flywheel package.

You could block off the Rwd part of the AWD tranny but it would be useless and robb you off power. becuz it will just spinn faster and tend to blow a bearin quicker.
TREVO-Under major construction, Bp coming soon! TO a mx3 near you
1993 MX-3 RS,FULL BLITZ KIT(PROTOTYPE)17"10 SPOKE RIMS,SOHC 1.6L.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2189811
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

TREVO123 wrote:
Dark_Rider2k3 wrote:

Yes you can, You have to change the mount with the protege lx/gt or the EGT mount, You will also have to use the g-series Clutch and flywheel package.

You could block off the Rwd part of the AWD tranny but it would be useless and robb you off power. becuz it will just spinn faster and tend to blow a bearin quicker.
well then.. what tranny is recommended that will keep my car FWD?
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

they have mention many times over before which tranny to use in fwd form mean the g-series trans and all the bs u need to make it work.

read over again..

no what

90-94 mazda protege LX/GT

is a start someone else can fill in for me if they choose too.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

Limegreen mx-3 wrote:they have mention many times over before which tranny to use in fwd form mean the g-series trans and all the bs u need to make it work.

read over again..

no what

90-94 mazda protege LX/GT

is a start someone else can fill in for me if they choose too.
well when i heard that it is not recommended, i was just wondering if there was an alternative route then the G-series....
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

i don't see where its says anything about the g-series not recommended

i see about the awd g-series trans being used in a fwd not recommended

where do u see this.. that ur talking about
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Moe_maX

Post by Moe_maX »

what i took on what i read is that the stock trans is not recommended with the BP-T and that a g-series should be used... The 90-94 protege lx/gt fits the BP-T and is recomemded... if i read this wrong please let me know...

another question though... will i need new mounts as stated for the 92 4cyl? i have the 1994 1.6 DOHC???
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

Moe_maX wrote:what i took on what i read is that the stock trans is not recommended with the BP-T and that a g-series should be used... The 90-94 protege lx/gt fits the BP-T and is recomemded... if i read this wrong please let me know...

another question though... will i need new mounts as stated for the 92 4cyl? i have the 1994 1.6 DOHC???
that's exactly what i read :wink:

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”