Converting US Spec turn signals to Euro Spec

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
*Y*

Converting US Spec turn signals to Euro Spec

Post by *Y* »

All right guys I had a question about something. You know how on the us spec mx-3 the turn signal housing is always on and flashes when you turn the signal on. Well there is an unused place for a socket right next to it. I wanted to put a socket there and make that light up and have the turn signal just flash when the signal is on. I was wondering can I just splice the wire coming to the side markers and connect it that way? I was planning on using a LED in there. Also which of the three wires coming to the turn signal would i need to cut to disable the always on light?
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Best thing is to find a bulb harness off some junk mx3, that way it will plug right into place and you won't have to worry about the messy wiring of a led. Then cut the constant power off the turn bulb and use that to power the new bulb and you're done.

I had actually planned to do something similar. Have the small housing section lit up white normally, and have the two housings alternate being lit when the signal is on. All it would take would be one relay, hook the white bulb bulb to the NC and the orange to the NO, power it off the constant wire of the turn bulb and have it switched by the turn pulse.
*Y*

Post by *Y* »

Sorry by LED I meant LED bulb. Like you said I already had the harness from the 3rd brakelight. I looked up which wire is which in the manual and did as you suggested. Thanks for the quick help. I love you guys and gals of the MX-3 world! :) BTW it looks so "sick" now... much better than before....
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Post some pics then... :wink:
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

PATDIESEL wrote:Post some pics then... :wink:
--Defenitly, I have been thinking of doing this also. What kind of LED bulb did you end up using?
:)
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

yeah let's see :shock: I will probably do this to add to my international project :D
Open_dump

Post by Open_dump »

yes i need pics.....this is mod ive been wanting to do for years
*Y*

Post by *Y* »

Hey guys I am still waiting on those bulbs but as soon as I get them I will post up some pics. Check back...
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Since the MazdaSpeed bumper doesn't have the side markers on the front bumper, I moved the sockets into the empty space in the turn signals, so it's like I have mini-fog lights. They don't blink at all tho, never thought of it, don't think I would.

This is the only pic I have with my lights on.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
*Y*

Re: Converting US Spec turn signals to Euro Spec

Post by *Y* »

Just in case someone still wants to see the mod:
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

Sporting the sport editions =b

How do you like them? Did you notice a loss of power when you slapped them on? Which size did you get?
*Y*

Post by *Y* »

Yeah those are the 17'' Sport Edition, nice eye! Anyway I can't exactly compare them to anything. What happened was that when my cousin and I bough the car, we immediately started restoring it and what not. The tires on the stock rims were somewhat bald and cracked on the sidewalls, so I decided to just order some new rims along with the tires. Who knows maybe there is a difference. I still have the stock ones so I will try them some time just to see how they compare. I really like the look of these thou.....
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator

Post by Mooneggs »

Y - where have you been hiding with that pristine white mx-3??? lol I want to see more pics of your car!
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

Great looking mx-3! I have to mod my turn signals like yours, so the amber is not on unless it is blinking, like how your lights look in the pic you posted. It looks alot better that way.
:)
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
*Y*

Post by *Y* »

Haha I haven't been hiding, just haven't been really "showing off" lol :P I should get a cardomain page or something so I can post up some more pics....Still have to buff and wax up the car thou....can't wait for it to get a bit warmer here so I can work on the car again...

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”