[FS] 93' GS 5-spd w/KLZE New Leather Interior, 2-way LSD

Do you have an MX-3 related item for sale? Post a quick note here.
Gro Harlem

[FS] 93' GS 5-spd w/KLZE New Leather Interior, 2-way LSD

Post by Gro Harlem »

I bought a 2000 Celica for commuting / fuel economy which also will basically replace my MX-3. I have to commute to & from the DC Metro area every day which is brutal with a torquey-a-- V6 & 5-speed. I also don't have the money & means to own & maintain more than 1 car at this time in my life. I love the car, but must straighten my priorities right now.

I'm asking $2,500 FIRM for the car. This price is absolutely firm, the bare minimum I'd ever consider selling this car for (and I'm offering it to you guys here first for this price). and I know it is a steal considering some of the rare parts that are on my car.

In case you don't know what my car is, i'll run down the basics of what it was when I bought it:

1993 MX-3 GS 5-speed with power package. It is equipped with A/C & A sunroof, as well as front & rear mudguards as options. I bought it with 144k miles, and it currently has around 173k on the body. I bought it with a f'd up transmission & blown engine. I swapped in a KL-ZE with low mileage, a new transmission and it drove great out of the box. I have since done quite a few things to the car that I consider tasteful, non-ricer, non retarded, all functional.

Modification List:

Engine/Drivetrain:
-Straight-neck KLZE with curved-neck KLZE intake manifold. Curved-neck KL68 60mm throttle body. Engine is aluminum with a slight golden hue under the valve cover. Unabused, doesn't burn oil, Runs good.
-Custom 3" cold air intake redirected to drivers fenderwell
-HEI Modification with MSD blaster 2 ignition coil & 8.5mm ignition wire
-Accel 8.5mm red ignition wires w/NGK V-power plugs.
-Custom 4-gauge grounding wire kit installed in daisy-chain orientation.
-SSAutochrome Chrome headers (the hotshot knockoff style NOT the paceshitter).
-Carsound 2.5" free flow cat, 2.5" free-flow resonator & 2.5" exhaust tubing directed to a JUN Titanium 2.5" muffler (has a silencer in it, very quiet with it installed).
-Customized transmission with ford ZX2 brass synchronizers & gears, including a taller 5th gear. Mazdaspeed Protege (Tochigi Fuji Sangyo) 2-way limited slip is also customized into the transmission
-Exedy clutch....less than 8k miles on it.
-Mazdaspeed Protege shifter w/shiftknob for shorter throws.
-Driveshaftshop.com driveshafts. Rated at 200 ft/lb of torque according to them when I bought them.
-2-year old urethane-filled Mazdaspeed motor mounts.

Brakes:
-Front & Rear brembo Blank rotors, replaced about 8k miles ago. PAINTED SILVER and so far they have held up with NO RUST forming in the middle & on the edges, they look aesthetically pleasing.
-Front Hawk HPS brake pads & rear Axxis brake pads, stops pretty good w/these.
-Stainless steel brake lines, techna-fit brand.
-ATE Blue DOT4 high performance brake fluid.
-Millenia master cylinder retro-fitted
-Brand new remanufactured front & rear calipers, painted with high-temp silver paint. Still looks great after about a year.

ALL of the above brake parts I installed at the same time & have less than 8k miles of use. The entire system is pretty much new or replaced w/remanufactured parts.

Suspension:
-Custom Front & rear control arm bushings (i used to sell these on the board). They are urethane & work well.
-Ford ZX2 Tokico struts w/thrust bearings, strut mounts, dust boots, perch's, all of the parts are OEM and were brand new 2 years ago when I bought them.
-H&R Sport Springs, I just recently installed these.
-Factory 15" wheels with Falken ZEIX-512 tires...about 10k on the rubber, still brand-new looking with plenty of tread. Wheels are painted gunmetal with polished-lip...see pictures.

Exterior:
-Custom Noble Green Metallic paint with clearcoat. Dupont Nason brand paint.
-Mazdaspeed Front bumper (erebuni type, fiberglass)
-Front clear turn signals w/amber bulbs.
-E-spec drivers & passenger outside mirrors (20% more convex = you can see more)
-Rear SUPRA STYLE tail-lights (black) with sylvania silver star "blue-look" bulbs for turn signals (still shines amber when active). Reverse lights are some kind of hyper-white bulbs, i think APC brand, they look blue from the rear. I have the stock taillights still if you want these instead.
-Painted 15" factory wheels (gunmetal) with polished lip, for appearance.
-Shaved antenna, a Fuba-style antenna sourced from a Mitsubishi Lancer has been installed in place of the rear washer nozzle.

Interior
-BRAND F'KIN NEW SE Leather front seats (yes they are brand new, i have pics to prove it). The interior smells like a new leather-interior'd car due to these seats!!!
-Rear bench seat sourced from a 60k mileage SE.
-Door panels & rear panels are also sourced from the same 60k mielage SE and are in great shape
-Automatic seatbelts removed in favor of 94-96 style manual belts. Safer, less weight & functional. About a 30lb weight savings from the conversion.
-Indiglo gauge cluster with aluminum bezel
-Indiglo HVAC panel with MX-3 icon for the recirc control, fully functional
-Custom black fabric-covered headliner
-Black dyed A & B pillars
-Sony Xplod 50x4w CD-player head unit. The radio doesn't work, but plays CD's fine.
-Infinity 5000CS 6.5" Component speakers in the rear w/tweeters custom mounted in the B-pillar trim.

Now for the description of the car:

The car runs & Drives decently with some minor annoyances that are common with ZE MX-3's. The engine starts up every time & idles properly. It accelerate strong through all the gears and makes an awesome deep-throaty sound. The car ran a 14.2 1/4 mile about 3 years ago when I last ran it. Since then I have installed the LSD and different gears.

The engine burns zero oil and under the valve cover is golden, no deposits or black crap. I've seen between 22-26 mpg in the city & 24-32 on the highway with about 23/27 being the average fuel economy. Its tank is small so you stlil have to fill up every 250-280 miles before the light comes on, but it only takes 9.5-10.5 gallons at this point (13.2 gallon tank).

The suspension works well, but does have a few noises that I should note. The passenger-side balljoint makes a clunk when you steer to the left abruptly and is noticeable at lower speeds. The H&R Springs & Tokico struts are good on bumps & rarely bottoms out, but the car still has a low ground clearance so you have to be careful with the front bumper (which is actually higher than the stock GS bumper w/lip as far as ground clearance).

The brakes also work really well. The pedal feel isn't what I was hoping for (still feels a bit squishy, even after i replaced the lines & master cyl), but the car stops extremely well. It does NOT have abs so in the rain its not too difficult to lock up the wheels if you slam on the brakes in a big puddle, or snow.

The exhaust has a minor leak somewhere near the cat. I removed the headers after i originally installed them once & replaced the gasket, but I must have not fully tightened the bolts. The exhaust is no louder than it was beforhand but you can hear a whizzy sound under acceleration coming from under there, and sometimes you can smell exhaust fumes from the center console if you are stopped at a light for a long period of time.

These things put out a decent amount of low-end torque and the engine tends to buck in 1st & 2nd gear when you let off the throttle & Roll back onto it. The mazdaspeed mounts & Urethan filling I installed helped but still didn't remove this problem.

The transmission shifts crisply into every gear with no buzzing from synchro's. I have redline MT90/MTL mixture of fluid in the trans which provides really smooth shifts. The clutch engages nicely with no slipping.

The body has NO RUST WHATSOEVER. Underbody parts like suspension arms have a slight bit of rust forming, but nothing more than some slight bubbling under the black paint. In other words, there are no suspension components that are browned-over with rust flaking off, just minor spots of brown here & there with some bubbling in spots. The BODY however has zero rust forming anywhere, this car was originally a southern, MD car (little snow in that area) and since I've bought it, has never been driven during salty winter months.

The car was originally red. I later repainted it titanium silver (same color as miata & mazdaspeed protege). I wasn't satisfied with the paintjob so I later repainted it Noble Green Metallic (a factory MX-3 european color). I'm still not 100% satisfied with the paintjob, but it looks good from what people tell me. Up close I still think it sucks but you be the judge by the pics. The biggest problems is some light orange peel, and some swirly marks on the paint itself that you can see in direct sunlight. I buffed it out but never 100% finished the 3-stage polishing process. I have pictures of both of these.

The area where I shaved the antenna is starting to show the outline where the hole was. I think the dark paint in combination with the underlying bondo caused this problem. The passenger fender has a ding on it, and the rear drivers 1/4 panel has an area that I attempted to smooth out with bondo that still looks wavy if you look up close. It was dented originally there but I filled it in when I repainted the car. The front bumper has some chips but is overall in good shape. The lower-lip area has some cracked paint from hitting some speed humps & cement parking things. See the picture.

The windsheild & other glass are flawless, no chips or cracks at all & the windsheild isn't sandblasted with little pits either.

The interior is the best aspect of the car from my personal standpoint (next to the drivetrain). The leather seats give the interior a new-car smell and the door panels & fabric aren't ripping off at all. The rear seat cushion & back are also flawless, but the leather is more aged on the rear cushion since it wasn't brand new when I replaced it. The fabric has no tears on the seatback whatsoever.

There are NO leaks on the interior, never have been. No mold or other problems like that are apparent in both the cabin & trunk area. The carpeting is clean all around. THe rear cargo cover was replaced and is not bent in half like most MX-3 cargo covers. It has a broken area (see picture), but again...it is better than 90% of the cargo covers that are still in existence today.

The Bad:

The air conditioning needs a recharge. THe lower hose that comes out of the a/c compressor had a leak & all the R12 leaked out. I have a replacmeent hose/pipe that i sourced from a lower mileage MX-3 that I have yet to install.

The power steering works, but when its cold outside it works intermittently until you cycle the steering wheel back and forth a couple times to circulate fluid. The problem is...it has a small leak somewhere that I've yet to pinpoint. When idle you can often hear the pump making a mechanical noise. I have NEVER had the power steering totally fail on me, but I'm pretty sure the pump could use replacing & hoses should be replaced to prevent a future leak.

As mentioned before, the passenger balljoint makes a clunk sound when you steer abruptly to the left (at lower speeds for example). Sometimes when you hit bumps on the highway (like asphalt dips where they are repaving) you'll hear a clunk from that corner. The balljoint needs replacing.

Also mentioned previously, the engine movement isn't 100% contained, depsite the mazdaspeed motor mounts & urethane filling. This is very annoying in 1st & 2nd gear (mostly in 1st), especially when you are stuck in traffic on a highway and can only creep forward at 5-10mph or less.

To summarize the body problems...the paint has some minor orange peel and swirlies since I never finished fully buffing out the clearcoat after painting it. The front bumper has some chips, but nothing major. The shaved antenna shows an outline of where it was. There is a ding on the passenger fender & some wavy-ness on the rear 1/4 panel from when I tried to repair a dent that was there.

Pictures are located here. Not all pictures are in this directory yet, i'm working on taking some more:

http://www.imazda.com/wil/MX3FS/

Sale Details:

The car is located in Arnold, MD 21012, which is 30 minutes east of Washington DC & 30 minutes south of Baltimore, MD. It has a CLEAR Maryland Title and has never been in an accident according to carfax.

Again, I'm asking $2,500 FIRM for the car which is a steal considering the parts that are on this car. I'm not really flexible on the price and i'm NOT INTERESTED IN TRADES.

I've decided that I'm not going to part out peices of the car. I don't have replacement parts for any of the engine or interior parts & only a few parts for the suspension & considering the work involved, it isn't worth my time. I want to keep the car whole, as it sits now.

If you have questions, email me at firstgenprotege@yahoo.com, AIM me at GroHarlem6 or PM me.

Sorry for the long post but I like to be detailed & for potential buyers to be informed.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

u ran 14.2? what was ur trap speed in the 1/4?
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

92mph
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

u must be a hell of a good driver lol i get 99mph and get only 14.6 lol
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
*Y*

Post by *Y* »

Mind if I ask where you got those new SE seats?
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Gro! You still havent sold this car? Bring it to Canada and I will buy it!
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

^^^^^^weren't you trying to sell your car too...lol

I trapped 99.7 and did 14.4. You kust be a good driver, and you do have lsd. But you should be getting higher than that. But I do believe its a kl01 cammed motor!

Good luck on the same. its a nice car
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

I dunno. That run was a looong time ago, i think in early 2004. I've since gotten rid of the ACT clutch b/c it was too harsh & did the hei mod.

I'd have to double-check the timeslip if I can find it, it might have been a higher speed. I know I had 92mph at least twice that day but I had some slower runs too. I did like 7 runs that night at the track w/some sticky-a-- tires so the times off-the-line were insanely good.
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

Man this is sad to see. All the old school members are starting to get rid of their MX-3s, but for a Celica?!?!? You gotta upgrade to something better than that.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

00' Celica is a nice enough DD- I got one too. GREAT gas milage and holds up very well. 13?,000 miles and only replaced the air sensor (other than maintenance, which is very minimal compared to the MX).
Good luck on the sale. Seems quite the steal at that price.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

[quote="mx3autozam]. But I do believe its a kl01 cammed motor![/quote]

if u look he says straight neck ze with curve neck manny so he must be 31 cammed :P read johnny read!! lol
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

PATDIESEL wrote:00' Celica is a nice enough DD- I got one too. GREAT gas milage and holds up very well. 13?,000 miles and only replaced the air sensor (other than maintenance, which is very minimal compared to the MX).
Good luck on the sale. Seems quite the steal at that price.
Did I mention its an AUTO GT??

I honestly hate it kinda...its interior is so f'king cheap. You can scratch the cheap plastic paneling with your fingernail thats how malable it is :(. The MX-3 at least had foam-padded rhino-skin texture'd door panels & dashboard which makes a world of difference in your perception of quality.

On top of that the car is SLOW AS BALLS. hardly any low-end. Top end is nice but the tranny shifts wayyy too early so half the time I have to keep it in "2" when merging in traffic. I guess the upside to the tranny shifting like that is the gas mileage....I got 36.3 last tank and it was maybe 70% highway. w00t

I'm basically saving up for a new car that i'll likely purchase in 3-4 years. I don't know what it'll be tho. I'm waiting for the new sporty models to come out. A new RX7 perhaps? Or the new Supra if it ever launchs. The skyline looks ghey but if they change its styling it might be something to look at.
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Hey bro, sent you email/pm. Waiting for your response
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Yeah, I did say a good DD- and since a DD only needs to be semi cool and get good milage. Mine is also auto, I dislike the trans computer, it is very odd at shifting and slow to respond to the pedal. It is pretty powerless, but what did you think you were buying, a ZE MX-3, lol. The interior is a neat design, but I agree could use some sort of vinyl covering. However, most cheaper new cars come with this plastic dash, even the 350Zs are no vinyl covered.
The thing I dislike most- It WILL NOT spin a wheel on dry pavement. I tried e-braking it, and all manner of nailing the gas pedal, but the torque converter must be HUGE. I did not try a rev drop on the shifter, which I would think would work, but I wanted to keep the trans in the car.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
sk8erdude802

Post by sk8erdude802 »

Is the car sold yet? Thats is dirt cheap for all you have in it. If I come up with another grand and its not sold Ill be all over that.

Steve-O
93' MX-3 GS SE ZE - Sold to Acheron1502! SOLD!!!

93' MX-3 GS SE - R.I.P. K8 with Integra CAI, HEI mod, Koni inserts with H&R's,drift kit, Kicker KX400.1 and KX200.2 amps, 2 kicker 12s, set of 6x9's. Custom trunk enclosure

MyFeedBackThread
^^^^^ Click on image for my work log ^^^^^

Return to “MX-3 Related Items For Sale/Trade”