Driving on a messed up water pump question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

Driving on a messed up water pump question

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

My car is leaking coolant and water like crazy now. It seems to be coming from the water pump. From what I hear, replacing the water pump is common on these cars.

I have a question tho, is it a bad thing if I drive on a messed up water pump as long as I refill with water? [driving it to work]
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

well you gotta fill up 50 50..not jsut water...and it jsut gets worse..it happend to me..so ..id say replace it..its not cheap tho
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

96mx-3 wrote:well you gotta fill up 50 50..not jsut water...and it jsut gets worse..it happend to me..so ..id say replace it..its not cheap tho
Im going to do my engine swap ether way. I have a spare radiator.

I called Midas, they want $370 for labor on replacing the water pump. :lol:
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Juan, you seem like a cool guy but always ask stupid questions, it makes me laugh.

depends how bad it leaks man. You can just run water. It won;t really lubricate the bearing in the waterpumo like antifreeze will but if your swapping a motor soon then who cares. just amke sure you keep an eye on the temp gauge.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Id replace timing belt on it at the same time also, tensioner etc. But in case you dont wanna do it just keep a couple gallons of water in car while driving it, don't want to overheat it
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

mx3autozam wrote:Juan, you seem like a cool guy but always ask stupid questions, it makes me laugh.

depends how bad it leaks man. You can just run water. It won;t really lubricate the bearing in the waterpumo like antifreeze will but if your swapping a motor soon then who cares. just amke sure you keep an eye on the temp gauge.
x2 on the questions LOL but it's ok that's why we are here - to answer them! :D

Anyways depending how far you have to drive to work... IMO I would not drive with it leaking everywhere unless you are ready to blow the motor and can call a tow truck :? When mine went out I could only drive a mile or 2 and it was completely empty again... I barely made it home hopping from gas station to gas station to fill up my water jugs and refill the system... not a happy day :crying:
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Ha ha thanks. But yeah the car isnt leaking alot. Engine swap is coming soon though so its not going to matter if I drive it a bit.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

96mx-3 wrote:well you gotta fill up 50 50..not jsut water...and it jsut gets worse..it happend to me..so ..id say replace it..its not cheap tho
It hardly matters if he uses 50/50 in Sept. Stright water is fine for now. The only reason I use close to a 50/50 mix is to keep the rubber seals on the water pump from drying out. If he's already leaking, that's hardly an issue.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”