Tow Hooks

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Tow Hooks

Post by umcamara »

Wasn't sure where to post this, but here seems fitting.

I removed my front oem tow hooks just to remove a bit of unnecessary weight from the front.

I'm wondering though, if they're a structural part of the frame (unibody).
They do have a 90 degree bend in them. One surface is bolted to the front of the car, and the right angle is bolted to the side of the car. Hopefully they're not much of a part of holding the frame together in a collision.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Uh, for the Tiny bit of weight you just saved I think you want to put them back on... If you need a tow they cannot pull the car up onto the truck without them. Well, they can, but they will hook the chain to your suspension which can break it or at least throw out your toe and camber. Also, the hooks ar ethe loest point on the front of the car, meaning that they take the abuse if you run over something a bit too high. The scrape of the tow hook will let you know that you need to back up and try a different angle or direction. Even if you car is stock heigth, I would put them back on...
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Fair enough...
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”