wont start sometimes and idling bad help please!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jimpuntoy

wont start sometimes and idling bad help please!

Post by jimpuntoy »

cars been playing up recently , it wouldnt start at all one day just turned over but i eventually got it going by turning the key and pumping the accelerator and now it just doesnt idle right it idles pretty low about 500-800 id say then it wil dip and shoot up and down and settle again at 500-800, also when driving along quite often it just dies for less than a second just a little blip this is weird, could have started since i fitted the cone filter??maybe
az-3
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by umcamara »

Did you remove the MAF sensor when you installed your cone filter? That needs to stay in, or else your ecu will think that the throttle body isn't getting any air.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
jimpuntoy

Post by jimpuntoy »

yeah its there and the other little sensor that was on the side of the air box, its the 1.5 btw
az-3
jimpuntoy

Post by jimpuntoy »

any ideas? ive cleaned the tb and checked the fuel filter :?
az-3
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Check for cracks in the rubber pipe after the filter - one way to check is to spray wd-40 or carb cleaner or something around the tube when the engine is idling - if the idle changes when you spray - you have a vaccum leak....
zCat

Post by zCat »

Sorry if I am completely wrong or just not seeing it, but it looks like the connector that plugs into your MAF is not plugged in. Just a thought; that would cause it. Like I said, my apologies if I just saw wrong. Peace!
ho bag

Post by ho bag »

zCat wrote:Sorry if I am completely wrong or just not seeing it, but it looks like the connector that plugs into your MAF is not plugged in. Just a thought; that would cause it. Like I said, my apologies if I just saw wrong. Peace!
Good eyes! And you right it doesnt look pluged in!
2002 Mazda Protege5 (Turbo kit 75% complete)
1996 Mazda MX-3 Gs KL-ZE
1994 Mazda MX-3 Rs (BP-T?)
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

what year is this MX3? his MAF looks a lot diff. then mine lol
jimpuntoy

Post by jimpuntoy »

couldnt find any leaks, think i need a better camera lol it is plugged in, dont know the year exactly but its estimated year of manufacture is 1992-1993 not sure because its an import, and is also jap only 1.5 16v engine
az-3
jimpuntoy

Post by jimpuntoy »

wel i took it to the garage to get some codes off the diagnostic terminal, got maf, coolant temp, tps and air temp only 1 i havent messed with is coolant temp could this be the problem? also exhaust is leaking / blowing quite bad in the centre now?? :?
az-3
jimpuntoy

Post by jimpuntoy »

im pretty sure now its the coolant temp sensor, i tried to get one from my local parts place but cant get 1 for my 1.5 anywhere i can buy 1 need asap in the uk.. also i was wandering which 1 is it think there is 1 for the ecu what i need and 1 for the gauge is that right?
az-3

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”