KLDE swap questions

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Jacbs2007

KLDE swap questions

Post by Jacbs2007 »

There's 2 KLDE's up in the [F/S] section... One from a 97 probe, and the other from a 97 Millenia.

The seller has the ecu's for both, and a 5spd tranny for the probe engine

My questions are:
Will the probe's IM fit in my 93' MX3 GS 5sp? if not, I know the millenia's will, but I thought they only came with ATX ? so would I be able to use my 5spd MT or the probe 5spd MT with the Millenia engine/ecu combo? If the Millenia engine wont work then which IM should I use for the Probe KLDE? I've read about people using their K8 mani....with airlfow restriction though
1993 GS
-MS front -functional molded hood scoop
-MS molded sides-shaved antenna
-Civic projectors -New black paintjob
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

Etiher motor will work. As far as the millenia only coming in an automatic, that wont matter. The motors are all the same so you would have to bolt your flywheel and clutch up to the motor and than use your mx3 manual tranny. The probe tranny will work also. The only difference from the mx3 tranny is a taller fifth gear lowering engine rpm on the highway.

The klde intake manifold will work with no problem. I just finished swapping a klde into my mx3 last month and i used the klde intake manifold. Check out my worklog and you an see the pictures.

Some concerns i can see is that you are dealing with obdII motors. I would think you could take either motor and swap out the sensors and switch in your k8 sensors no problem, allowing you to use your k8 wiring harness. I AM ONLY GUESSING ON THAT, I WOULD SEARCH AROUND TO DOUBLE CHECK. And then you would have to source the appropriate obdI ecu for the motor you are using. Another issue that i just want to throw out there, i dont know if a 97 kl motor was still ran off a disty. You would also have to source the correct vaf for the motor. I am positive you could make it work, but i dont know how much extra work it would take. I hope this helps, and feel free to pm me with other questions i would be glad to help.

Nate
Looking for another Red GS.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

1992blazeredgs wrote: The probe tranny will work also. The only difference from the mx3 tranny is a taller fifth gear lowering engine rpm on the highway.
Probe tranny has the same gearing as the Mx-3. It's the 626/Mx-6 that have the taller gears
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Jacbs2007

Post by Jacbs2007 »

Thank you for the replies everyone. I was also concerned about the wiring/ecu being OBII...does anyone know for sure if the 97 millenia and probe KLDE's were OBII? I thought I remembered reading it was 98+ and SOME 97's were OBDII.
1993 GS
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

I have never personally seen any newer probes or millenias but i doubt they are any different then the rest of the auto world and went obdII in 95/96. I am pretty sure it was government mandated or something like that. So I can almost guarantee they are obdII.

Nate
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I do know SOME newer mazda 626 came with the KLDE that uses coil packs or something.

Im not sure on the millenias.

Im assuming the newer millenias came with the beefed up version of the de, 170 hp and kl31 heads, square runners.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Jacbs2007

Post by Jacbs2007 »

well the seller has the OBDI ecus and VAFM so would that work out even though the engines are 97's OBDII? I would think everything would be okay as long as all of my sensors matched up?

so out of the 3 engines which would give me the best performance and ease of installation more importantly

97 ProbeGT KLDE
97 Millenia KLDE
97 626 KLDE
1993 GS
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

I checked an auto parts website and the 97 millenia with a klde still was listed as using a disty. So that isnt an issue. The millenia will give you the best performance because it has kl31 heads. (klze heads with klde cams) From the little checking i have done, I dont think this will be any harder than an obdI swap. Use your k8 sensors, so it will plug right into your k8 harness, get the correct ecu for the motor your choose. (so your vris points will be correct) get the correct vaf. Use your mx3 tranny, and flywheel, you will want a new clutch if you are still dirving your k8. Other than that i dont see anything out of the ordinary from a normal kl swap. Good luck with everything.

Nate
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

for future ref... id ask for a picture of a motor to see something like that...
auto parts sites arent always correct... Parts america (shucks) makes me laugh.
Story:
Awhile back i went in for a disty, they asked what kind of car (Jake) 1992 MX-3 GS, (shucks) ok so is that the 1.6l or the 1.8l (jake) 1.8l, (shucks) oh ok, so does that have drums or discs in the back... (Jake) discs, all GS's came with discs aswell as 1.8l V6's, and WTF difference does it make if it has drums in the back, im buying a disty, not a master cyl, or pads, or something else that can be affected by that. (Girl from shucks), ok ok sir we just have to ask to ensure we get the correct part. (Jake) Ok, (Shucks lady) Ok one more question does it have ABS?, (Jake) ok again nothing to do with the Disty on MX-3's, but no it does not..., (Shucks) Ok it looks like the disty is $246 for the remanned. (Jake) Does that come with the ignitor, cap, and rotor? (Shucks) yes it includes everything. (Jake) ok great is it instock? (Shucks) yes let me go grab it. (a few minutes later) (shucks) here it is. (Jake opens box) Umm this doesnt have the cap or the rotor, or the ignitor. (shucks) oh it doesnt hmm let me go check... (shucks) oh i guess its the 1.6l that comes with that... (I dont even know anything about the 1.6l BP so i have no idea) She said the one for the 1.8l was 440 bucks new and would be in, in 2 weeks and came with it all. I said no thanks im going to NAPA. (Amazing story at napa) well beside they know what the f--- there talking about, originally they wanted $425, i talked to the guy for awhile and i actually got him to sell it to me for 285 before taxs (I was also paying cash which helped a little) NAPA is the way to go, atleast they know wtf there talking about...
I still cant find anywhere in the shop manual where it says there should be a 1in hole in the side of the block. (Blown K8) #6 rod thrown through block.
Jacbs2007

Post by Jacbs2007 »

Thank you for all of the information. Honestly I spent awhile searching on the forums and the web and it's hard to find the difference between and ZE and DE swap. I knew there probably wasnt much of a difference, but I wanted to be sure about everything.

And the guy I'm buying from is only about an hour away....so I will be compiling a list of the correct ECU codes, VAFM codes, head codes and be thouroughly inspecting everything before I go so I know what I'm getting. I'm not saying the guy will rip me off(he seems rather nice), but It's better to be safe than sorry

Ok now I've used http://www.mx-3quebec.com/swap6.htm and found a few #'s but I want to be sure they're correct and there are a few I had no luck finding.
-----------------ECU--MAF/VAF-------HEADS

'97 ProbeGT---KL03----KL02----KL-1A1 / KL-101
'97 626---------KL--?---KL02-----KL-1A1 / KL-101
'97 Millenia-------?------KL47----KL31-1A1 / KL31-101
----------------------------^---------------------------
I've read KL57 a few places for millenia?
Last edited by Jacbs2007 on July 29th, 2007, 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
1993 GS
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

almost forgot to tell ya...
KL47 ecus wont work in the MX-3 to my knowledge, and i have no idea about the other ones you listen.
Kl47 wont work because the ECU connectors are different as far as i know, (confirm this if you want with someone with more experience with that ECU as i have none its just what i read)
But anyway about the other i also have no idea
U can use ur K8 ecu if you send it to 1stprobinator off of http://www.probetalk.com
he will chip it so that it will work for the motor, anyway if you want a real ecu like that, id get a KL31 or KL36
i believe thats what everyone says to use with a ZE and a DE shouldnt be different, but again wait to confirm this with someone with more experience.
I still cant find anywhere in the shop manual where it says there should be a 1in hole in the side of the block. (Blown K8) #6 rod thrown through block.
1992blazeredgs

Post by 1992blazeredgs »

I have seen numerous numbers on ecus. I have a kl07 ecu in my car right now. A major thing to check for is that it has 3 places to plug in and not 4. From what i have heard obdII ecu's have 4.

Nate
jemcote

Post by jemcote »

if your mx-3 is obd2, you have to swap the harness.

if it's just the probe/millenia, you don't care(unless it's a 98+millenia)

you need kl01 ecu and vaf kl02
Looking to buy low price KL-DE engine in canada if possible under 200k kilos... sned me a pm!
Jacbs2007

Post by Jacbs2007 »

mx-3 is 1993 OBDI. I've read that the sensors from OBDII vvehicles fit OBDI engines so I'm assuming sensors from OBDI vehicles will fit an OBDII engine. The person selling the 3 1997 engines has OBDI ecu's and vafm... so I should be good.
1993 GS

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”