A Whole Lot Of Badness

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Timmie_g

A Whole Lot Of Badness

Post by Timmie_g »

Well earlier today I received my new KLZE, its a Curved neck. Now i pulled all the plugs while i had it on the engine stand i thought id do a compression test by manually spinning the crank.

compression went like so:

Cyl 1- 110
Cyl 2- 120
Cyl 3- 90
Cyl 4- 135
Cyl 5- 90
Cyl 6-120

now i dont know what the specs are suppossed to be or if my readings were acurate due to it being done on a stand and manually spinning the crank with a wrench.

but im worried cause those numbers are low for any other engine and extremely low for a ZE(from what i understand)

anyboady have any ideas
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

thats not how you do it, thats wrong.
You want to do whats called a leak down test using a compressor and a gauge like this http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku
read instructions...
I still cant find anywhere in the shop manual where it says there should be a 1in hole in the side of the block. (Blown K8) #6 rod thrown through block.
Vanished

Post by Vanished »

I wouldn't say a compression test is 'doing it wrong' because it's a good indication of leaks....a leak down test simply shows were the leaks are (in the form of air bubbles or hissing). The KLZE compression specs should be close to 200 IIRC. Turn it over the same time for each for each cyl and turn each one over more than once, because your numbers seem awfly low.
1992 Blaze MX-3 GS *R.I.P.*

1993 Blue 93 SE-ZE

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2770987/2
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

Vanished wrote:I wouldn't say a compression test is 'doing it wrong' because it's a good indication of leaks....a leak down test simply shows were the leaks are (in the form of air bubbles or hissing). The KLZE compression specs should be close to 200 IIRC. Turn it over the same time for each for each cyl and turn each one over more than once, because your numbers seem awfly low.
the way he did it is wrong. You cant do a compression test using a wrench to turn the motor over, youll get #'s like he did. If you want to perform a test to see if the motor is leaking when the motor is out of the car and there is no way of turning the motor over the same amount or same speed. Then use a leak down tester. % i think should be around 3-11% depending amount of abuse the motor has undergone, if it starts getting higher you have problems, etheir bad valve seats, or bad piston rings.
Last edited by MazdaNoob123 on July 19th, 2007, 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I still cant find anywhere in the shop manual where it says there should be a 1in hole in the side of the block. (Blown K8) #6 rod thrown through block.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Noob is right.. you arent going to get accurate compression readings spinning the engine by hand. Unless you can use the starter to spin the engine for each cylinder.. your results will be erratic at best. A leak down test is the way to go in this instance.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

those numbers are pretty low, ive done compression tests on motocross bikes and they were just a bit higher. When u do a compression test u have to turn the engine over as fast as you can in order to reach a maximum reading.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

pfft LOL dude thats not a way to compression test.. no wonder you got those numbers.. LOL do the leak down or do what I did simply install it and compression test it afterward. Also the compression test results should be marked on the IM usually by the seller.

I had 190 COLD compression test. warm was a bit over 210.

My ze runs strong and burns no oil. Remove the valve cover and see if the prev owner did its regular oil changes. You shouldnt have much to worry since
klzes are low milleage engines.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Timmie_g

Post by Timmie_g »

yea i pulled the valve covers to change the gaskets and to inspect everything, it looked good, i changed all the timing components and water pump, got new belts and tensioners,

tomorrow im gonna yank the K8 and replace it.

Does anyone know if its easier to take it out of the top or drop it out through the bottom. Im doing it at the shop tomorrow during work so i can do either really easily.

To me it seems like taking the K8 out the bottom would be easier. but you guys are the experts.
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

:confused2:

no... from the top with a hoist...
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

from the top..just jack up the car go under and remove the axles, shifter linkeages and eveyrthing underneath. Than pull it as one unit motor and tranny. depending on the type of engine crane you have. you may need to remove the hood as well. then unbolt tranny from motor and put it on new motor with your clutch and put it back in car.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Red Rocket

Post by Red Rocket »

I havent done a ze swap yet but Ive done a few fwd cars before. And if you have a hoist then the bottom is way easier. Unbolt everything, hoist up the car, take engine off and install new one. Aslong as you dont move anything in the driveline then lower the car right back on top and bolt back in.
[*url=http:cardomain.com/ride/2632839]My Cardomain Page[/url*]
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Yeah.. um.. I pulled the axles.. unbolted the jackshaft (intermediate shaft) from the back side of the engine, unbolted the motor mounts and pulled the motor and tranny out as a unit. I did remove the hood just for clearance. Dropped the old ATX off and bolted up the new 5spd and put it all back together. The wiring harness was probably the most annoying part of the whole deal, with the exception of the exaust manifolds.. those sucked big time.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Timmie_g

Post by Timmie_g »

yea im doing it at my shop so i have a hoist that it will be on.

it shouldnt take too long, i think droping it out the bottom wil be easier. just because i ave acess to all the tools and such, once the K8 is out i have to swap a couple peices over to the new engine but overall it seems like it will be pretty easy, except for all the vacuum lines lol
Timmie_g

Post by Timmie_g »

I was completly worng.

I spent 6 hours today and am now mentally drained. The k8 is just now ready to come out and will be lifted out tomorrow, but im worried about getting the ZE running tomorrow. If it goes anything like today im going to run into problem after problem.

I had to remove both knuckles from the car because my axle shafts were seized into the knuckles, then the ball joints were seized so i ended up having to replace those, as well as replace both from wheel bearings, and axle shafts. Essentially everything was seaized and im not sure y the climate usually doesnt do that here but regardless,the k8 is ready to come out with the exception of 2 motor mounts.

I dont think i was prepared for this swap i went into it thinking it was alot easier than it is.

maybe im just a terrible mechanic and should look into switching professions
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

everything happens for a reason man. Just think of the good times u'll have with the klze in there, she'll purr nice. u have to come into things thinking the worst so that things will turn out good, and get some of the penetrating oil stuff. it works wonders, i mean it. i used it when i replaced my axels and what not and i managed to get the seized stuff out. Oh, and you dont have to take out the upper ball joint or lower ball joint to take out the axels, you just have to take the bottom 2 bolts holding in the bottom ball joink out and te whole assembly swings to the side. hope u know what i mean.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”