So what came first? The tint or the paint?

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

So what came first? The tint or the paint?

Post by Tunes67 »

My plan is to paint and then get the windows tinted.. but I figured I would ask real quick if there was a reason it would be better to go the other way? Just curious. :)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

::raises eyebrow:: Sigh... ::walks away::
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
hharb

Post by hharb »

haha, yeah i'd paint then tint, or tint then paint, i really dont see a reson why you would have to do one before the other, but yeah i'd rather have a shiny painted mx-3 with no tint than having it the other way around.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

Just because you have a custom member name

Tunes67
Supporting Member
Mr. Meticulous

doesn't mean you HAVE to ask questions like this :lol: :roll:

go with the paint first... that way if for whatever reason something goes horribly wrong and you bust a window at least you will just have to replace the window without putting more tint on... :shock:

that's the best answer I can come up with for a question like that :D

LOL
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Hey I didnt ask for the name.. I wanted Anal Bastard but Mnemonic had it tied up apparently ;)

:::sneaks up and puts a "Kick Me" sign on Mnemonics Back as he walks away:::

As for the question.. I really dont know all whats involved with tinting.. especially on our cars.. do they tint the inside or outside of the windows?.. cause I have seen some cars done both ways. I am tempted to get the tint done first cause I will have a meltdown of major proportions if one of these Tint Monkeys scuffs up my fresh paint ;) LOL I might even slam their laptop closed (This is only funny if you've seen the commercial) ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

:2thumbsup: paint 1st then tint tunes gahhhh!!!

unless you like having a multicolored car with some really nice tinted windows...
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

and next time tunes, do a search man, this topic has been covered several times...

How's the fat cat btw?

Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Search? Me? ;) And Hairball is doing just fine.. he sat in the window and watched me fire up the GS last night ;) Apparently the HLA noise was a bit much for him though.. he didnt hang out long ;)

Tunes67

Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

hehehe

Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

Mnemonic wrote: unless you like having a multicolored car with some really nice tinted windows...
LOL check out my worklog of the fast car if you want to see this... I drove for about 2 years with a red and blue creek mica car + carbon fiber hood but I had sweet tint!!

and Tunes - you have a cat? I have one also... Her name is Chunky and she is 11 years old!
ImageImage
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Yup.. Hairball is about 4-5 years old now.. weighs just shy of 20lbs.. he is half Maincoon. Here is a pic of him..

He lives upto his name too.. I swear every time I vacuum the floor I get enough hair to make 2 more cats. ;)

Tunes67

Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Hmm, got the car repainted 2 years ago, and I still haven't had her tinted in the 5+ years i've owned her, lol
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I aint putting $1500 + worth of electronics in the car and let it all be visible. I'd rather keep my stuff rather than show it off ;)

Tunes67

GregoryChristian
Supporting Member

Post by GregoryChristian »

I'd go with the paint 1st
sinjin

Post by sinjin »

I definitely suggest tinting first. with the summer heat, it will be nice to have protection from the sun's beating. also, another benefit that most people don't think about with tinted windows is the added protection from theft. while it's true that someone can pop you locks or door handles...most thieves will not bother busting out your windows because experience will tell them that the glass will not shatter. this means they would have to take the extra time to push the window out of the door frame...and since most are in a hurry, tint makes for a rather effective deterrent.

as for tinting, you may already know that tinting goes on the inside of the glass. although i've not yet gotten around to tinting mine (gimme a break, i bought it a month ago yesterday), i can tell you that it's the hatch glass that will me the most difficult. when cutting the tint, it is applied to the outside of the glass with simple soapy water. using a squeegee, press the tint flat using outward motions beginning from the center. cut the shape with a razorblade, then form the tint (for curved surfaces) with a heatgun. be very careful not to singe the tint. if the tint is not properly formed, it will eventually bubble (and badly considering the curvature of the hatchglass). tinting the door glass is much easier. you once the tint is layed on, simply use the top of the window as a cutting guide, then slide the tint down about a 1/4" (this keeps the tint from being stripped by rolling up the window) and then slice off the bottom around 1/2" below the door (this keeps the bottom from being stripped when rolling down the window). i strongly recommend using some sort of stencil for rounding off any sharp corners...actually a quarter works well for this. once the cuts are satisfactory, you simply peel away the clear sheeting, soap up the interior glass and apply the tint in the same manner as you did on the outside. (i think it should go without saying that you'll need to have the door panel removed for this part...but i'm saying it anyway). be sure to not roll down your window for a few days as you allow the tint to fully adhere (you can speed this up initially with a little heatgun action, but i'd still recommend the three day wait regardless).

if you plan on tinting yourself, i recommend that you use a metallic based tint...the cheaper stuff tends to fade to an ugly purple over time. if you're going to a professional, make sure that they guaranty their work because of the likelihood of hatch bubbling.

Return to “Appearance”