confused with compression test results

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Suresperance

confused with compression test results

Post by Suresperance »

i did a compression test today on my ze and it pulled 125 average on all cylinders. WAY low but the engine is running so good it isnt even funny which is why i think i did the test wrong. my dad and i did it he held the guage and i tured the car over. he had me do it in short bursts. just barley turning the key. he hasnt worked on a car since 1970 so i dont know if this is the proper way to do it. but 125 is way too low for a ze and its running perfectly which is why im so confused so any help is appreciated.
RED CAR: 94 MX-3 GS soon to be GS-R Engine: K8 weapon R intake, racing cat, pacesetter exhaust, 8.5 MM wires. Suspension and Breaks: Ground control coilovers, KYB GR2 struts, front and rear strut bars, crossdrilled rotors. Wheels and tires: ADV revolution 17" with Fuzion ZRI rubber. Body: Mazdaspeed front bumper, brand new paint job. Interior: X2 racing seats w/ 4 Pt harnesses, underglow under the dash, carbon fibre gauge bezel, reverse glow gauges, Painted trim Stereo: sony xplod head unit, pioneer 3 ways all around, rockford fosgate amp, lightning audio 1 farad capacitor, dual eclipse 12" subs. WHITE CAR: 93 MX-3 GS-R Engine: KL-ZE weapon R intake, SS autochrome headers, racing cat, 2.25 echaust with dual fartcan, curved neck intake and TB, intake and TB spacers, Stage 3 six puck clutch, 8.5 MM wires ordering fidanza flywheel this week. Suspension and Breaks: STOCK. Wheels and tires: STOCK with 225 bfgoodrich euro T/A rubber. Body: STOCK nasty and dirty car sat for four years before i brought it back to life, hood scoop. Interior: STRIPPED Stereo: Pioneer head unit, infinity 3 ways all around, rock ford fosgate amp, single 12" rockford punch sub
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

disconnect the cables from teh disty so that you dont crank the car, plug the tester into each sockets, let it turn over a few times, and let it sit and watch. Yea thats pretty low for a ze 190 is what there soposed to be around mine were half 195 the other half were 203 (carb build up)
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

As Mnemonic said.. disconnect the plugs leading to the distributor.. remove ALL spark plugs. Then test each cylinder one at a time. Crank the engine till the needle on the compression gauge stops going up. Record the number. Move to next cylinder.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Suresperance

Post by Suresperance »

haha yeah i just found out from my mech. friend he said you need to remove ALL plugs we did one at a time. then remove all harnesses from dizzy which we did. and hold the TB open. remove the efi fuse and ground some thing. and you have to turn it over not just alittle at a time. he said the way we did it was right for the big block chevys that my buddy and dad were used to but not for out newer cars. he said that when we re do it it should be up twards the 200s so it should be fine we just did it wrong. im all set thanks for your help
RED CAR: 94 MX-3 GS soon to be GS-R Engine: K8 weapon R intake, racing cat, pacesetter exhaust, 8.5 MM wires. Suspension and Breaks: Ground control coilovers, KYB GR2 struts, front and rear strut bars, crossdrilled rotors. Wheels and tires: ADV revolution 17" with Fuzion ZRI rubber. Body: Mazdaspeed front bumper, brand new paint job. Interior: X2 racing seats w/ 4 Pt harnesses, underglow under the dash, carbon fibre gauge bezel, reverse glow gauges, Painted trim Stereo: sony xplod head unit, pioneer 3 ways all around, rockford fosgate amp, lightning audio 1 farad capacitor, dual eclipse 12" subs. WHITE CAR: 93 MX-3 GS-R Engine: KL-ZE weapon R intake, SS autochrome headers, racing cat, 2.25 echaust with dual fartcan, curved neck intake and TB, intake and TB spacers, Stage 3 six puck clutch, 8.5 MM wires ordering fidanza flywheel this week. Suspension and Breaks: STOCK. Wheels and tires: STOCK with 225 bfgoodrich euro T/A rubber. Body: STOCK nasty and dirty car sat for four years before i brought it back to life, hood scoop. Interior: STRIPPED Stereo: Pioneer head unit, infinity 3 ways all around, rock ford fosgate amp, single 12" rockford punch sub

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”