Will be using my K8 belt and retainers

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hgallegos915

Will be using my K8 belt and retainers

Post by hgallegos915 »

hmm I have the k8 sitting there.. timing belt only has around 6 thousand miles!! and the retainers ill use for the ze...

now question... engine ahs been sitting for over a year.. the timing belt cover is closed.. will it still be good? I wont use the tensioners because I remember those were noisy. I assume the k8 retainers are the same as the de ?

I dont think i missed anything..

Ill basically be pulling out the whole engine to check the gaskets, seals and what not. Ill be replacing the cams with the kl31s i got. Also ill be using an act stage 3 or a clutchmasters since thats what everyone recommended.

I guess the main question is if the timing belt should be ok? its new but its been sitting there for over a year and a half.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

You will have to pull out the Timing belt and see how pliable it is. Chances are as long as it was not weathered on it should be ok.

The retainers and springs are the same from the K8 to the DE....i ahve my K8 setup on my ZE....works awesome.

As far as clutches man....i would stay away from the ACT. I go clutchmasters all the time....its an awesome smooth clutch but can handle a beating and still grab great. :2thumbsup:
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

why stay away from act? nothin wrong with them imo the at on the ZE was kickass! i fell in love with it lol so thatll be the clutch i wanna get next..
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
ho bag

Post by ho bag »

ACT is defefntly one of the best clutches for the money.
2002 Mazda Protege5 (Turbo kit 75% complete)
1996 Mazda MX-3 Gs KL-ZE
1994 Mazda MX-3 Rs (BP-T?)
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

hmm im debating the both, b ut yeah ill probably go act. WOW really? the springs and retainers are same on a k8? w00 i heard de/k8 springs are better than the zes meaning why i was abloe to reb that thing really high all the time hehe.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

OH.. and can anyone show me a pic of the tool that is used to actually open the retainers?
-hec

XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

Just letting ya know..i have a southbend clutch..stage 2 i beleive. works well on my ZE turbo. (after i broke it in for like 600 miles).

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

fieromx3 wrote:why stay away from act? nothin wrong with them imo the at on the ZE was kickass! i fell in love with it lol so thatll be the clutch i wanna get next..

YES act all the way, Duncan used to ahte my clutch but after driving my car a few times he really likes it, It does grab nicely and is very nice.

Hector...why switch out the retainers. you know you have a kl01 cammed millenia motor which does not have the issues with dropping valves. and you also need to pull the heads to do the retainers which means machining the heads a bit to cleanup and new headgaskets.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

just noticed you wanted to know what the tool looks like for compressing the valve spring, its a big clamp type thingy that holds the valve from the bottom and then it presses down on the valve spring and you remove the locks and retainers then, since it holds the valve from the bottom you need to remove the heads

Hey hector why don't you just get interprep springs there $175 and the dude will also throw in brand new de retainers for like an extra $20 well worth it if you ask me, then you ane rev it high alot and not have to ever think of lossing your drivetrain.
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

a what!! you need to pull the heads for the retainers!?? :( then nm im risking it LOL if it blows ill get another ze :S
-hec

Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

You do not need to remove the heads....the retainers can be changed with the heads on the car.

I ahve the tool to do it...search for a import overhead cams valve spring compressor.
n2ogsze

Post by n2ogsze »

Slammed6 wrote:You do not need to remove the heads....the retainers can be changed with the heads on the car.
Correct. You wouldneed an air compressor with a super special fitting to insert into your spark plug hole in order to keep the valve from contacting the piston while replacing the retainer.

If you have a KL01 cammed ZE, it will not need retainers replaced anyway. If you have a KL31 cammed ZE it will not need the retainers replaced, but a select few who have dropped valves have created an atmosphere of fear that scares people like you into replacing them.
T61 powered KLZE
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

n2ogsze wrote:
Slammed6 wrote:You do not need to remove the heads....the retainers can be changed with the heads on the car.
Correct. You wouldneed an air compressor with a super special fitting to insert into your spark plug hole in order to keep the valve from contacting the piston while replacing the retainer.

If you have a KL01 cammed ZE, it will not need retainers replaced anyway. If you have a KL31 cammed ZE it will not need the retainers replaced, but a select few who have dropped valves have created an atmosphere of fear that scares people like you into replacing them.
Well if you mean a "Super special" fitting being a normal autozone compression tester...then yes. you need that. and an air compressor.
n2ogsze

Post by n2ogsze »

Misinterpreted sarcasm at it's finest. Sarcasm was used, hence the use of 'super'. He'll never do it anyway so it doesn't really matter what tool it is.
T61 powered KLZE
MazdaNoob123

Post by MazdaNoob123 »

why would you have to Machine the heads (seeing as there not warped).
I find id funny that this one guy now claims that ZE's dont drop vavles. seeing as people have had problems with it...
I still cant find anywhere in the shop manual where it says there should be a 1in hole in the side of the block. (Blown K8) #6 rod thrown through block.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”