I think My clutch is going

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hgallegos915

I think My clutch is going

Post by hgallegos915 »

WHAT? after only a year a nd a few monts?? its seems it slips in high rpms.. I hope its just my tires spinning :( any way if finding out if itrs really slipping? should I just run it until the slippage is really bad? I know i need to buy some new friction plates for the fidanza.. but wow.. i tought they lasted years..? I do go to the drags ALOT... I hope its the tires spinning :( i can only feel it in 1st gear and second in high rpms.the rest it doesnt seem to slip.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

what kind of clutch is it..if its stock ya a year is about right.

a good way to tell if its slipping and not tire spining. is when it revs and teh tacometer moves does the speedometer move too, if it does then its tire spin.

also at a stop with the parking brake on and in 5th gear, rev the car up a bit and try to pull away, the car should stall right away, or it would continue reving because the clutch is slipping. or drive it through 1st and 2nd gear and the go straight to 5th at really low rpm's and mash the gas if it just revs then ya she's fucked
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

the way I figured out my clutch was going on was just driving normal in 5th gear and then flooring it... if the rpm's start going up and your speed does not increase then yeah your clutch is going.

I see you have a stage 3 clutch... I had a stage 2 CM type R and it only lasted 20k miles and then it started breaking up and destroyed my fidanza surface... you should order a surface now so it will have time to get there before you change the clutch and you're not waiting on parts...
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Thanks guys! Ill do those tests. Im not using the car much anymore only on weekends. Ill order the surface anyway even if its not going. its been almost a year. Its a stage 3 and I DO give her hell. Im suprised the transmission has held up.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

This is the clutch i have
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F1-RACIN ... enameZWDVW

was that a bad choice? Im looking into other brands that grab hardcore. This one grabs quite good but i havent checked the rest out.

And where can I buy the surface?
-hec

mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

well not only is it a cheap clutch its for the k8, its alot smaller. i bet its taking up half the fidanza's friction surface, order one for a mx6 or probe next time!
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

sorry, i did get one for probe gt.

I cant take off from 5th however if i rev it high and slowly drop it will move and go from there ...is that normal?
-hec

ho bag

Post by ho bag »

Umm both the K8 and KL use a 225mm clutch disc...

I found 240mm clutch kits for the mx6 that should work.

Can anyone verify that a 240mm clutch disc will clear the stock flywheel?
2002 Mazda Protege5 (Turbo kit 75% complete)
1996 Mazda MX-3 Gs KL-ZE
1994 Mazda MX-3 Rs (BP-T?)
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

ho bag wrote:Umm both the K8 and KL use a 225mm clutch disc...

I found 240mm clutch kits for the mx6 that should work.

Can anyone verify that a 240mm clutch disc will clear the stock flywheel?
umm every k8 clutch i've bseen has been smaller!
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
caper587

Post by caper587 »

I was told that the clutch plate for a MX6, Probe, ect. (2.5 l.) was about 10 mm larger in dia. than a k8. I just had a MX6 clutch kit installed in my GS (with the stock fly wheel ) and it's working great.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”