Well, after getting a certificate, all I get is $8 a hour

Off-Topic Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

Well, after getting a certificate, all I get is $8 a hour

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I got my state certificate in Auto Collision Repair from my High School Auto Collision repair program aswell as my diploma. I painted/repaired 2 cars. Only have about a year's expirence (forgot how many hours) and just today I got hired by Maaco.

Today i just learned I am only going to get $8 a hour, I was hoping atleast $13 a hour after seeing someone I know that also took the same class get a job in painting cars for about $13 a hour.

Im not going to be a painter, most likely a prep guy. But the person I know (he took the class last year) got hired quickly by someone. His painting skills were as good as mine during that time but I guess they needed a painter really bad

So now he is getting $14 a hour.

Damn, I hope I can get a job being a painter :(

Anyone want to give me advice?
Im going job hunting tommorrow.

rant off/

Yeah I know, none of you care. Tommorrow I am going to go up to the boss and tell him to feed the big dog some bones.
If he dosent Im just going to tell him to stick it

Barely outta HS going to College. I just want to make $14 a hour. Fvck $7
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

I care, cause Im in same situation. Ive got my A.A.S. degree in auto body collision/paint. I can wipe my a-- with it for all I care. No shop would hire me. They all want "minimum of 5 year experience"
I ended up getting job at local industrial place, working in paint dept (painting robots/machinery) It still doesn't pay $13 but at least I get 401K and other benefits. Before that I worked for one a--hole for $8. I did all the body work and prep, except I didn't paint for him. Didn't want customers coming back at me, cause he did some hack jobs and I didn't wanted to be involved. Also picked up his daugther from school and run other miscellaneous errons for him daily.
I don't get science so I couldn't take something better where I could make well...$16 or more.
Of course I got skills and knowledge now to do bodywork/paint on my own cars and had painted numerous parts for my buddies and did a few side paint jobs.
I'm actually thinking about truck driving now, working full-time whole life for lil' bit than minimum wage sucks.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Lol, that blows. :lol:
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I guess the best thing to do is get your own compressor, spray paint gun, practice, practice, practice and then go into a job saying you have expirence.

Some spray painters can get hired quick it seems, others cant :(

Of course I am planning for college. No doubt but I am tired of earning min wage.
Good news, SORT OF
I just found out is that there is a place down here called Waste Management that is paying about $13-$18 a hour for painting there trucks. They have a job opening next week

Im not really happy about it because it seems to me alot of older people (in their 30s-50s) work there. Not sure if they would want to give a 18year old, fresh out of high school kid a $14 a hour job with not so much expirence in painting

Then again, were talking about GARBAGE TRUCKS
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Cy

Post by Cy »

who cares what your painting as long as your painting something and getting paid good money for it...

a bodyman making 8bux with no experience isn't to bad....if you stay there for 3-5 years you'll probably end up making 15-18bux and spraying/finish work...
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

[quote="Cy"]who cares what your painting as long as your painting something and getting paid good money for it...

a bodyman making 8bux with no experience isn't to bad....if you stay there for 3-5 years you'll probably end up making 15-18bux and spraying/finish work...[/quote]

Hell yeah a body man making $8/hour does suck. Stay there and end up making $15-$18 an hour is not worth it. You cant even pay half of your rent and bills on $15/hour. You can easily work at any store in the mall or McDonalds and make more money than $8/hour, I would personally keep looking elsewhere.
95 rs

Post by 95 rs »

at the body shop at work the prepper makes about 13/hr and one body man makes 16/hr and the other makes 25/hr and all of them arent liscensed....... the painter makes $25/hr also.....
95 rs with custom short ram air, b&m short throw shifter, probe 2.0L header with 2 1/4" exhaust all the way back, catco high flow cat, apc high flow muffler with 4.5" tip, accel 8 mm wires, blaze red, cf altezzas, gun metal 17" mr7s, slotted cross drilled rotors on the way with hawk hps pads, red and white interior, other then that its stock.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

a lot depends on location also. Im in East WA state and $12-$13 is pretty decent but if you live in western WA ie Kent, Seattle, Bellevue $12-$13 wont pay bills and rent
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

i dunno what kinda financial position youre in, but IMO i wouldn't care about the money. i'd just use that job to get experience, and then go out on your own when you feel like you can take on jobs by yourself and do it well. i kno some dood who works out of his garage at home. you think about it, body work is expensive and ppl get into fender benders everyday. if you charge less than the shops and do good work, you can make tons of money on your own. sucks now, but gotta start somewhere... good luck to you
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

theres too much to it. If EPA catches you without proper filtering system you're screwed. Then there's personas that will avoid paying you for work and it's not fun chasing them down.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I asked for advice on other forums aswell. Same answeres. $8 a hour isnt bad. I just got to work my a-- off and show them I should get $10 a hour.

Another thing is, i think i will enjoy this job. Prepping cars is kind of fun. Espically when you have different cars coming in the door evry day. It wont be the same s--- every day.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

mitmaks wrote:theres too much to it. If EPA catches you without proper filtering system you're screwed. Then there's personas that will avoid paying you for work and it's not fun chasing them down.
EPA sucks. I also know someone down here who does the same stuff at his garage. Paints, preps, ect

I guess working at Maaco would be good expirence. If I ever want to, I can save money up and start my own business at my home. But I dont have a garage. Ill probably have to start with some plastic tent or something..
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

my state's minimum wage is 7.93, so 8hr doing bodywork/paint aint worth it. I'm making $11.24 right now and it's somewhat relaxed environment and my boss treats me good. I'm still thinking about truck driving though, not too bad if you're not married like me.
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

mitmaks wrote:my state's minimum wage is 7.93, so 8hr doing bodywork/paint aint worth it. I'm making $11.24 right now and it's somewhat relaxed environment and my boss treats me good. I'm still thinking about truck driving though, not too bad if you're not married like me.
Utah's is still 5.15 but living here is cheap. We got the cheapest gas prices in the US... I think
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

I guess it's alright then if you got $8 as starting wage. Usually they raise it a buck after 90 day evaluation period. Then if you got benefits/401K that helps too.

Return to “Off-Topic”