Tuboing my sohc

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
mazdamx3sohc

Tuboing my sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

NOW i dont wanna hear any of this swap to a bp crap...while yes id love to but i dont have the time, money and some of the knowledge for that at the moment. so im turboing my sohc, all i need to know is the max psi of boost the motor can handle, and what intercooler piping i can use and what other stuff is needed or good to do this(meaning turbo accessories not a new motor)
Boris

Post by Boris »

good idea, a turbo project is much easier than an engine swap :roll:

i don't think u'll be able to find any piping for it, you'll have to custom make it.
1993 1.6L SOHC. Mazdaspeed mounts, BP09 ECU, BP VAF, Fidanza miata flywheel, exedy miata pressure plate, centerforce mx3 disc, tokico struts, B&G lowering springs, and some sh***y motomaster tires.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

yeah i knew i would have to custom make it probably from the turbo piping kits on ebay and just cut it, but im not sure wich one would be the closest match.
TREVO123

Post by TREVO123 »

The BP Turbo Pipes should be close, very lil Modifications.
TREVO-Under major construction, Bp coming soon! TO a mx3 near you
1993 MX-3 RS,FULL BLITZ KIT(PROTOTYPE)17"10 SPOKE RIMS,SOHC 1.6L.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2189811
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

What I dont understand is how you dont have the time or money to do a BP swap but yet can do a turbo install which involves custom turbo manifold, turbo, downpipe, oil and coolant lines, blow off valve, fuel management, ignition control, intercooler piping, intercooler mounting etc. :lol:
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

u already know my list guy i posted it before.

In my case i'll boosting the sohc to 25psi on a GT32 max as my other daily driver car. as for intercooler piping i'll be using 2in piping. I wouldn't suggest doing what im doing without some kind of EMS.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

yeah...i can lift a turbo myself, i cant lift a motor myself...also a turbo is much easier (to me) to install...plus i dont want anything outrageous in power i just want to keep up with my friends, not kill myself..lol and limegreen, you do AWESOME work on the sohc's and bp's where is this list at i dont know where to find the link. searching is a pain in the a**
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

RM log style turbo manifold
GT32 turbo
TEC II standalone,
RC 550cc injecters,
UPgraded fuel rail already in place
26 3/4" L x 6 1/4" H x 3 1/2" D FMIC
2in intercooler piping
tial wastegate/BOV
F-series trans with a miata 1.6 flywheel act XTREME pressure plate mx-3 disc
MSD 8.5 wires
NGK V-Power plugs R5671A-8
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

and hows it running, and what psi do you recommend and how much hp do you estimate that will set me?
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Moved to Forced Induction.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

alright cool, hey custom its been a while, hows your wife and the baby doing?
m0rpheus666

Post by m0rpheus666 »

i'd be interested in turboing my sohc. I know it would be a time consuming and money consuming task but then look at another side, it would be something unique since not many people do it and it involves 100% custom work so i would gladly turbo and sohc than buy a BPT.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Well i'll boosting the B6-me to like 15-20 psi i'll be running a full standalone on my setup. so i have no need to worry just hope the engine holds up. most of the parts i'll be using are parts from the BP setup that are getting upgraded.

Reason why im even boosting a sohc is i have a spare mx-3 body i already have a Boosted BP MX-3 tearing up the streets with. Why not do a boosted sohc? I have most of the parts i need.

expect

F-series trans
tial wastegate/BOV
MSD wires.

I really want to hurry up and do it so that it can be my new daily beater.

I have big plans for the Boosted BP MX-3.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

15 psi huh? all my friends down here are running 7, my friend has a 95-96 cellica boosting 7 and my friend has an ls integra boosting 8psi and they think its pretty high for there motors. so im wondering what my rickety sohc can do for psi lol...if i have to..ill blow the thing to bits if it runs like crap...all the more reason to buy a bp after, hows that sound?

i am still wondering since i am gunna be new to turboing my car what i will need, this is what i know so far.

turbo, most likely t3 since anything else will be too powerful
wastegate, if not internal
blow off valve, wich kind i dont think matters?
intercooler pipping, 2-2 and a half inch?
intercooler, does size matter?
bigger injectors
better spark plugs, iridiums

now what do i do with the ecu? will it have to read all this? and what other things will i need?
Boris

Post by Boris »

if you plan on running 15 lbs of boost you should get a standalone. That's a lot of boost, especially for an old motor with stock internals.
mazdamx3sohc wrote: so im wondering what my rickety sohc can do for psi lol...if i have to..ill blow the thing to bits if it runs like crap...all the more reason to buy a bp after, hows that sound?
Sounds pretty bad. A lot of the parts aren't interchangeable between the B6 and BP

Do what you want with your car. I would love to see you turbo your sohc and all, don't get me wrong. But before you start buying turbo parts for your SOHC, think about how much it will cost. Piping, manifold, and i think the downpipe will have to be custom made.

For the price of just a custom made manifold, T3 turbo and intercooler you could probably buy a BP and have it installed in a shop. Maybe even a pro lx tranny too. Buying a BP and having a shop install it would be cheaper than you buying all the necessary parts to turbo your sohc and doing the work yourself. Also, a naturally aspirated BP would be much more reliable than a SOHC B6 running 15 lbs of boost.

Once you got the BP in your car, you could slowly start collecting parts to turbo it, while still driving a car that is decently fast.

But like I said, it's your car do what you want with it.
1993 1.6L SOHC. Mazdaspeed mounts, BP09 ECU, BP VAF, Fidanza miata flywheel, exedy miata pressure plate, centerforce mx3 disc, tokico struts, B&G lowering springs, and some sh***y motomaster tires.

Return to “Forced Induction”