AC no longer working

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Meanie

AC no longer working

Post by Meanie »

One day, I used the AC on my way home from work and it was working well, though I noticed not as cool as I thought it was in the past and this was the first time I've used it this year. The next day, it's no longer working.

When I hit the switch, the car bogs down normally as it does when turning on the AC, like most cars do. But viewing the compressor, I noticed the clutch is not engaging. This is where I'm left. I have little AC knowledge and don't know whether to tackle this myself or take it to someone with AC experience. I was told if there is little or no freon, the clutch will not engage. Therefore, I assume I will have to now use the R-134 freon unless I can find the R-12 somewhere. I will first search for any leaks in the hoses, otherwise, I can only assume it's finally time the old freon gave out since my car is a 93.

Anyone with experience of AC systems or this particular situation can provide an input, I greatly appreciate it.

Thank you
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

take out your a/c unit and get a smaller belt. itll add about 15 hp. and its lighter weight.
ThizIzJurry

Post by ThizIzJurry »

have u recharged ur air? i ay dyeing to find some r12 or a way to use r13 without modifying air compresser
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

yeah you probably had a passenger in your car that kicked that plastic shield that belongs under your glove box, and the plug came lose...thats what happend to mine, and im willing to bet thats your problem.
cbrzx

Post by cbrzx »

At least yours worked for awhile.
Mine never worked since the day i bought it.
mazdamx3sohc

Post by mazdamx3sohc »

just rip it out and get a smaller belt like i said. more power, you dont need ac, rip dat shyt out.
joetoken

AC fixing

Post by joetoken »

This is something I know about, I burned the copresor out of the mazda about 6 years ago, I got a junk yeard compresor, flushed it with AC cleaner and refilled with Ester oil, then I back flushed the sytem with AC clenaer driven by compressed air, then changed all the seals with neoprene, then I pulled a vacuum, 30 in of mercury for 3 hours, sealed it off and pulled in a can of 134a using the vaccum in the system, it is critically important for car ac systems to be clean and devoid of air when you charge

The car still cools great, even though it overheats, but that is not related

the biggest thing I have seen in ac shops is that niether backflush, or pull a vaccum, this is stupid and will absolutly lead to failure,

when a compresor fails, it creates acid in the system and also blows metal and burnt oil through the system, you back flush to get this out

ACs are simple, it is cheaper to buy a top quality vaccum pump and a set of gauges and do it yourself, you will generally get a better result

Also, I generally change the dryer when I repair ACs, I just got cheap on this one, however, it still works

You can not mix 134a and 12, you can also not simply purge the 12 and add 134a, the oils are not compatible

Also, if the unit has an orifice tube or expansion vavle make sure to back flush it as that is a prime spot where metal filings and other garbage gets hung up

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”