Axels !

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MoRf

Axels !

Post by MoRf »

whats the best way to get the front axels off and is there anything i need to know to disconnect them from the tranny ?
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

not really, just do this..

Drivers side
1. remove the wheel
2. remove the axle nut
3. remove the 2 lower strut bolts
4. Pull the hub away from the strut and turn it
5, using a rubber mallet, tap the axle out of the hub (it has to be bent at the CV Joint) You can almost pull it out, maybe can with some force.
6. Use a prybar or 2 to pop it out of the tranny. BTW, watch the axle seals, you may tear them if your not careful and have to replace them which is really easy.

Passenger side
1. remove the wheel
2. remove the axle nut
3. remove the 2 lower strut bolts
4. Pull the hub away from the strut and turn it
5, using a rubber mallet, tap the axle out of the hub (it has to be bent at the CV Joint) You can almost pull it out, maybe can with some force.
6. Use a prybar or 2 to pop it out of the intermediate shaft.
If it gets to be a pain you can remove the 3 bolts that hold the intermediate shaft and the entire axle will pull out of the tranny.

You will loose some fluid, so I suggest you refill it using the instructions inthe online manual.
MoRf

Post by MoRf »

wow thank you verry much !

with that help we will have the engine out today :D
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

i didd it on the weekend, its not that hard. untill you come accross some runted bolts........
MoRf

Post by MoRf »

[quote="94mx3precidia"]i didd it on the weekend, its not that hard. untill you come accross some runted bolts........[/quote]

yeah me and a friend are in the process of changing the engine , i have already tore the s--- out of my hands :shock: , broke way to many bolts :oops: and learned alot about my mx3 :D
cbrzx

Post by cbrzx »

do auto and 5 speed trans use the same axles?
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

MoRf wrote:
94mx3precidia wrote:i didd it on the weekend, its not that hard. untill you come accross some runted bolts........
yeah me and a friend are in the process of changing the engine , i have already tore the s--- out of my hands :shock: , broke way to many bolts :oops: and learned alot about my mx3 :D
i baught 2 cans of penetrating spray stuff. i used about one can of it on the bolts. I'd just spray it on everything periodically as id move my way through the bolts. i managed not to break any of the bolts but i had trouble with the upper ball joint. I know i was able to get away without removing the top ball joint but i took out the bottom 2 bolts holding something in place that allowed me to move everything to the side and to have just enough room to get the axels out.

i learnt alot about my car aswell, and also that i need new front coils.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”