B6DE

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
lowridah313

B6DE

Post by lowridah313 »

Will an MX-3 B6 dohc fit into a miata? Any info would be great.
Representin' the THRE3:TH1RT3EN
'02 Nissan Xterra SE, atx, 4x4, 32's
'92 Geo Tracker atx, 4x4
Feedback http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f= ... 54&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

uh.. sort of.. But there are a million things that need to be changed, so I doubt it's worth it.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Yes.. in fact the early miatas came with the B6 engine as well.. Not sure when they switched over to the BP but it was sometime 94 or later.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

The motor is a b6, but its a bit different. The engine was setup for RWD. The cams are opposite too.
lowridah313

Post by lowridah313 »

The reason I ask is that someone needs an engine for their miata and I have one just sitting here.
Representin' the THRE3:TH1RT3EN
'02 Nissan Xterra SE, atx, 4x4, 32's
'92 Geo Tracker atx, 4x4
Feedback http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f= ... 54&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

If their original engine was a B6DE (and in the early 90's miatas.. it was) Then yes.. it will require a bunch of parts swapping.. but it could be made to work. If your on a tight budget.. its doable. If the Miata had a BP engine in it.. you will be looking at a ECU and wiring harness differences as well.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
mr1in6billion
Supporting Member

Post by mr1in6billion »

I wouldn't try it.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

mr1in6billion wrote:I wouldn't try it.
why not?

Its a really easy swap. as long as the miata has either a B6 or BP in it. as all the parts you will need to do the swap will be on either of thoes motors. such as changing the coolent location. its all really easy, its not like you have to modify much at all, unless it was a BP. then really only the exhaust, as you can run the BP ecu on the B6 and have no problems. if your on a budget and you have it laying around i would do it. the only differences between the Miata B6 DOHC and the MX3 DOHC is the cams on the head. but shouldent really affect much as it only has to do with distributor placement, miata has the thing on the intake cam where we have it on the exhaust cam. then the MX3 B6DE block has two extra oil ports on the exhaust side of the block (thats why we cant interchange heads very well, But its doable), so the MX B6 has better oil cooling.

I would go for it.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Josh wrote:
why not?
because we're not adventurous. Hence the reason why there are so few unique MX-3's on the road. Plz make my 1.6L go fast for 20 bucks plz.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”