96 V6 brake replacement trials

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
tasfalen

96 V6 brake replacement trials

Post by tasfalen »

A recent inspection showed that I was down to about 10% on my pads, so I decided to do front and back this weekend.

Jacked the car up, got everything ready, got the old pads out and then s**t. Reading on this forum it looks like my calipers/rotors are seized.

On the front, at least, I can't fit the new brake pads in so I assume the self-adjusting thingmabobs are stuck.

A little time with a mallet and a drift punch didn't do anything, nor could I loosen anything back there. So I put it back together again - its my daily transport.

What I was hoping would be a quick job, isn't, and I'm debating taking it to a shop. Any clues out there? I've read various things on the forum but nothing really seems to apply here or I'm just missing something obvious.

Yes, I did manage to move the piston back - still no go. TIA!
'96 MX-3 V6 Blaze Red on the heart transplant list
Rate cars! Upload your ride! http://www.rodorrat.com/
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

So I take it your rotors are grooved and your pads are catching on the rusted edges? I had the same problem. I couldn't get them off, so I got my 300 lb friend to go at them.

300 lb friends can be handy.

I think they just need a bit more manhandling, but chances are if they're old and there hasn't been much piston travel back into the caliper, it's gonna be a bugger to get them off. Perhaps you could clamp off the brake line and disconnect it from the caliper so as to free up hydraulic pressure on the piston? It's still gonna take some muscle to get these off.
Cody
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

you have to open brake master cylinder cap and I usually get long pry bar and stick it in the opening in the caliper and pry on it. I replaced brakes on cars/vans/trucks this way and there hasn't been single car that I couldn't do it to. Just need good level to push against the caliper. If anything, spray some pb blaster/wd-40 on them and let them soak.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

I second the prybar and some PB or WD40. Works every time on some old stuck brakes.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
tasfalen

Crowbar

Post by tasfalen »

Now that's what I was looking for, thanks :) I'll get another can of WD40 and just attack the beasties!!!

Cheers!!!

PS this should be in the brake FAQ. Crowbar. WD40.
'96 MX-3 V6 Blaze Red on the heart transplant list
Rate cars! Upload your ride! http://www.rodorrat.com/
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

lol! 2 word FAQs FTW!
Cody
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

Man if you don't know what your doing then take it to a pro. What happens if you screw up the job and kill someone or yourself. Thats just my two cents.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Trevor wrote:Man if you don't know what your doing then take it to a pro. What happens if you screw up the job and kill someone or yourself. Thats just my two cents.
If you screw up a brake job, you should be killed. It's Darwinism at its best. Brake jobs are the easiest thing in the world to do besides an oil change.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”