KLZE price range.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Whisper

KLZE price range.

Post by Whisper »

I see there's about $500 variation in KLZE prices, depending on the place (talking about straight neck ZE alone, no tranny). What factors into that price variation? I know some places may offer extra parts, like starters for example, but overall a very similar package offering. The engines are all the same, there's really no way to tell the exact mileage, so it can't be that. Variation in how clean the engines are? I would imagine they're all about the same in that regard too. Anything else?

I just want to know if there would be a reason why I'd want to buy a $1,200 ZE over an $800 ZE? I hope there isn't...

Thanks.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

IMO different place gives different price for the same thing. It's like going to Walmart and Zellers. Same things different price. I know for a fact that 2 company around here that are not more than 50km apart sells their engine at a different price with the same parts.
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Ah, so paying more doesn't really do anything to improve my chance of getting a better, cleaner engine?

If a local shop is offering to order me an engine for $1500 US, then that's not a decent deal, yah?

Also, what's a typical price for a Millennia curved neck IM?
justin22_22

Post by justin22_22 »

no 1500 US I'd run and never come back unless thats installed then thats not bad.

Befor you buy ask around and find out where other mx3 owners in your area have got there KLZE from. I'm sure if you ask they'll tell ya where to avoid
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Doesn't have to be my area. I'm gonna ship it anyway. I could even buy from Canada. I'm WA state, and I don't think there are any local JDM engine suppliers.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

There are LOTS of JDM engine suppliers in western washington. And while I havent personally tried to find a ZE from any of them.. I am sure they are around here. DO NOT buy one from e-bay or anyplace where they ship it to you. ONLY buy one that you can inspect in person prior to buying it. Serious.. you will get ripped off if you buy one sight unseen. And dont buy any engine from A1 Japanese engines in Auburn.. they are scammers.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

If the place offers a decent warranty, would it not make a difference if I buy blind? If they send me the wrong engine, I'll just send it back. If they send me a bad engine, they'll exchange it. I'd still ship, even from local sources, since I doubt I'd be able to pick it up myself.

I mean, even if I go and inspect the engine, there's only so much I can look at without taking it apart, which I'm sure they won't let me do. I can verify the codes are right, but other than that there's not much I can check. It may look clean on the outside, but it's not like it's hard to wash an engine. Technically I'm still buying blind, because I don't know how it looks inside.

But say I do go local, besides A1 Japanese is there anything else I should stay away from? Or is there any place you WOULD recommend? Thanks.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Actually.. you can look inside the engine.. remove the oil fill cap and shine a flashlight in there. If the color you see is golden or silver.. your good to go. If you seen brownish or blackish stuff.. you know the oil hasnt been changed regularly and you should avoid the engine. And really.. would you really want to hassle with shipping back a bad engine? A1 Japanese engines offered me a warranty too.. the engine still had bad rings and valve seals.. thing smoked like a hippy van at a grateful dead concert. Long story on that situation.. but in the end.. I was a unhappy customer of theirs. They got their $$$ and thats all that mattered to them.

Where are you located in Washington? While I dont know any places off the top of my head that I can name that have ZE engines.. I can say you can find advertisements for them in the Little Nickel or in the Phone Book.. Might even be able to find something with Google. I have a small pickup truck (oddly enough.. thats what has the engine from A1 Japanese Engines in it. New rings & valve seals and its "Ok") so if you arent to far away.. its possible I could help you inspect and haul the engine home for you. (Your paying for gas though man LOL)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

Whisper

Post by Whisper »

I'm in Seattle. Though the shop that's gonna do the swap for me is in Kirkland, and that's where the engine will go.

I definitely appreciate the help offer, and since I've never bought an engine before, I might even take you up on it if I can't find a personal solution. I do have a friend with a truck, so I'll see if I can convince him to haul the engine for me, to save you the trouble.

So far only a couple of engine places came up in my search, and I'll have to call them and see if they have the ZE. I'll let you know what I end up with.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Definitely research on how to identify a ZE.. and dont buy the engine from someone that doesnt speak english perfectly (unless you speak japanese). Be wary of engine importers... they have one goal.. to get your money. They really dont care about anything else. Its definitely a buyer beware situation. Make sure you know what you are looking for.. casting numbers on the head & block.. intake configurations.. casting stamps on the throttle body.. etc. Some places will tell you its a ZE and it wont be.. US Millenia 2.5L engines are NOT ZE engines they are DE engines.

Tunes67

Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Yeah, I've been researching ZEs, so I should be able to spot dodgy offers. I just called up this place

http://www.foreignenginesinc.com/

The guy fired off a price ($899) without even pausing to think or look it up, so that's kind of sketchy, but maybe he's just a super inventory expert. Overall he was nice an helpful, and it's nearby, so I'm thinking it'd be worth going to take a look at it. Nothing to lose.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Always worth checking out.. just dont make the mistake I have in the past (and the mistake a LOT of people make) Dont be in a hurry to buy. In fact.. dont take your wallet or check book with you. Make yourself wait. There is no hurry and the old saying "Haste makes Waste" can apply double here. Also.. be prepared to replace the valve retainers before installing the engine. No point in doing all that work (or paying for all that work) just to have your engine drop a valve. The valve retainers are cheap too. Though not a lot of fun to install. Also.. take a digital camera with you.. take lots of pics and share them here on this site.. get opinions.. In the end.. your engine will only be as good as the time you spend doing the job. Doing the job right will take extra time.. but will ensure you wont end up on the side of the road somewhere hatin life ;)

Tunes67

Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Word. I'm definitely not itching to buy right away. And yeah, I do intend to replace the valve springs.

Thanks for the help man.
golhap27
BANNED Member

Post by golhap27 »

anyone know of any places that sell ze's in oregon? i cant find any online
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Man, I had hard enough time finding any in Washington. :(

Oregon would be nice, though. Tax-free, innit?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”