Mass Airflow Problem

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Kieper

Mass Airflow Problem

Post by Kieper »

Alright quick question. I'm just curious about the mass airflow sensor on the 1.6 SOHC L4.

My question is is there any way to remove it from it's housing or just flat out replace it. I have a cool air intake and I want to get a little more performance out of it so I was hoping to get a completely sealed intake which is a might bit impossible with the sensor as it is. Any help you guys can offer is really appreciated.

There are two pictures of my intake on this page.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2542601/1

Thanks in advance.
cyclonekid78

Post by cyclonekid78 »

You are stuck with the MAF. It controls your fuel. No replacing. Unless you want to spend lots of money.
93 RS BPTurbo
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2628805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

You def need to keep the MAF, which is actually a VAF (volume air flow meter) for the SOHC setup. If I remember correctly, the larger Mazda air flow meter from either the 2nd Gen RX-7 or (F2) 2.2L is directly swappable into the MX-3 SOHC. The F2 motor was standard in 1st Gen Probes (89-92 except GT) and all Mazda 1st Gen 626 and MX6 models (88-92). Search around a bit on the BB for "SOHC VAF swap" or "SOHC MAF swap" in the 4cyl tech/perf forum and you should get more detail if interested.

As cyclonekid78 said, the reason you need the MAF/VAF is because it controls your fuel. It constantly measures the intake air flow and the ECU fuel mgmt correspondingly adjusts fuel mixture to airflow measured from the MAF/VAF. So, your car will not run without it.
Image -Jim

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”