Who here knows CAD?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Jdmtunedmx3
BANNED Member

Who here knows CAD?

Post by Jdmtunedmx3 »

theres a website where you use a cad software to design what you want bulit and then it prices , you can choose finishes and etc. I dont know CAD or I would do it. I am looking to get some custom suspension parts made but I am not sure how to go about it. I want a lower tie bar, control arms, sway bars and etc. http://www.emachineshop.com is the site. If anyone is willing to design this and get it over to them I will order it. Otherwise does anyone know where I can find these? I run autocross and would like my car to handle the best and upgrade parts other than a OEM replacement.

Thanks!
" It's not about whats on the outside. It's about whats on the inside. It's about your heart slowing down. It's about riding that line between good and idiot. Because the truth is, it anint a hobby."
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Re: Who here knows CAD?

Post by monty73741 »

if you care looking for some custom suspension goto luc's site, he got stuff on inserts & pics of parts tht he has made

jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

SRD closed down.
Jdmtunedmx3
BANNED Member

Post by Jdmtunedmx3 »

so whats there to do?
" It's not about whats on the outside. It's about whats on the inside. It's about your heart slowing down. It's about riding that line between good and idiot. Because the truth is, it anint a hobby."
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

You can download that program too. I've tried to use it and had mild success, but it would require some playing with or CAD skills to design such a part. You are going to need something that is Very well measured and I doubt you have to tools to measure so intricately. What class are you in Auto-X? Some classes will not allow such suspension mods. Also, there will not be enough benefit for the cost until you are a pretty good driver. It has been said to me many times, and at first I didn't like hearing it, but the best money you can spend to make you faster is on training yourself. Go to a driver training class at a racetrack or just keep entering races. Get other, more experienced drivers to ride with you. They are always willing to help a newer entrant to the sport. Thier advice is key to getting yourself to drive the car to its limits at the fastest it can handle. I'm sure you've gone past "your" limits, but doubt you have seen the MX-3s limits.
If you want to stiffen up the chasis, get a roll cage from Auto Power. They have a bolt-in rear kit that fits very well and a weld in front kit if you want a full cage. It will be less expensive than a one off lower control arm and cross member and will help the rigidity of the car much more. It will probably put you in a very high class in Auto-X though.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Cy

Post by Cy »

didn't read over the site much...

do they accept AutoCad2007 3D *.DWG files or any other format?...

something tells me no...they probably literally just email the CNC the plan from this program and run it...
Jdmtunedmx3
BANNED Member

Post by Jdmtunedmx3 »

I am not sure what type of files they use , I run in SM class.
Mazdaracer

Post by Mazdaracer »

I played with the program for a bit, works VERY similar to CorelDraw, so it didn't take me too long to get the basics down. I'll keep playing with it and see what i can come up with.
THINK FAST, GO RACING!!
2004 Mazda6 Wagon
2004 Mazda3 Sedan
1990 BG8P Protege LX - KLZE - Race Preped - #98 SM - SCCA Solo2
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

<certified Mechanical Computer Assistant Draftsman :)
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Jdmtunedmx3
BANNED Member

Post by Jdmtunedmx3 »

then you guys should be able to make this happen so we can get some parts rolling for us mx-3 peeps!
Cy

Post by Cy »

I'm 99% sure that they would save a part # for possible future replications.... so if someone designs and orders a test part they'd easily be able to make more...

I Assume...?
Jdmtunedmx3
BANNED Member

Post by Jdmtunedmx3 »

I hope so!
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Cy wrote:I'm 99% sure that they would save a part # for possible future replications.... so if someone designs and orders a test part they'd easily be able to make more...

I Assume...?
Yes they do keep this info on file. I have used them to make brake,
suspension parts as well as other parts for other projects when the machine shop is over book or some time emachineshop is much cheaper that doing it ourselves.

In addition to knowing CAD you should also know what the machining equipment can and can't do, how many processes it will take to make the part, selecting the right material or in general a strong knowledge of Industrial Engineering even before creating the drawings. Drawing the part is one thing. Drawing it to be manufactures cost effectively is a whole other ballgame. The Emachineshop CAD programs is designed to look for conflicting processes but doesn't tell you that the part can be made cheaper if you do this instead of this.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”