SuperK
Supporting Member

We need to see more FE3's in MX-3's!

Post by SuperK »

I've come to the conclusion that we need this motor:

In a lot more of these cars:

I was reading this page:
http://members.aol.com/solomiata/FE3.html

and became instantly fascinated with the motor. Of course, then we have our fellow CrAzY Puerto Rican who did put this motor in the car and built up quite a hype:

http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... hlight=fe3
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... 3&&start=0

There was a lot of discussion about this engine back around '02-'04 but it seems to have died. There was even a lot of inquiry on our forum board.
Such as the thread where custommx3 was accusing the FE3 of being a bad idea:
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.ph ... hlight=fe3

Definitely, definitely need to see any more MX-3's with this baby in it!

I know Bocheck is putting a F2t in his car, or is at least planning on it
Is there anyone else who's venturing modding their car with something besides the usual BP?

It would be a breath of fresh air to hear of some out-of-the-ordinary swaps going on!

Rafi's shown us what a FE3 can do, I would LOVE to see what a bored-out boosted-to-crap 2.3L FE3 is capable of!
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Hey I even found one locally and put it in the FS forum.. recently rebuilt and for a reasonable price even.. not one response to the thread.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

And it truly is a pity, Tunes. I don't think too many see the potential in this engine. Their minds are all saturated with BP.

I sure wish I was able to jump on that FE3, but I have nowheres to store it :(
facko

Post by facko »

i would love to do an FE3 swap but i kno i dont have the kno how to do it myself so i figure a BP is a good start for now...who knows what ill end up doing/breaking later :D
Deadpool

Post by Deadpool »

Not a bad idea but I can not figure out what tranny would be needed to swap it into a MX3 :shock:
94 Mazda MX-3
Mods - none yet
Dirk_Gently

Post by Dirk_Gently »

Tunes67 wrote:Hey I even found one locally and put it in the FS forum.. recently rebuilt and for a reasonable price even.. not one response to the thread.

Tunes67
Pity the ad on craigs list expired, I couldn't even check it out! :x
facko

Post by facko »

if u meant which tranny to use w/ the BP u can either swap in the protoge lx tranny and all the stuff necessary w/ that or u can use the stock one in ur car now
Deadpool

Post by Deadpool »

facko wrote:if u meant which tranny to use w/ the BP u can either swap in the protoge lx tranny and all the stuff necessary w/ that or u can use the stock one in ur car now
Was talking about what tranny would bolt up to the FE3 and work in a MX3
94 Mazda MX-3
Mods - none yet
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

[quote]Custom engine mounts
F2 N/A tranny with some mods like the diferential and ratios
Kia Sephia 1.8 axles with mods in the engine block

Is posible with a good welding machine, tools and hours to spend it[/quote]

^^^ There you have it, F2 tranny.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I have never said anything, cuz I know I'll get raped in here when I do, but I have been planning for a long time now a very ambitious project.

I saw a guy in Germany had taken an Audi TT and shoehorned a second engine in the trunk, turbo'd both and is putting 1000BHP through a off road transfer case from Audi's Rally R&D cars.

I plan to cut out the rear floor and build a firewall behind the front seats. I have modeled and there is more than enough room for a second B6 in the cargo area. I am in the process of designing a modular rear subframe which will tie into the firewall. I spent a summer working for a master mechanic while I was finishing my Eng. degree and just through discussion I think I have figured out the major issues.

I will use B6's with a mild turbo boost, say 8 -10 psi. I figure with 2 that gives me in the neighborhood of 400Hp. It will take me several years and a rediculous amount of money, but it'll be the only one of its kind and I think I can probably get a few patents out of it.

Sounds crazy I know.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Sounds crazy I know.
Thats cause it is crazy ;) But it would still be cool to see done :D

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
facko

Post by facko »

personally i would think ud have built one bad mx-3 if u pull it off :D id love to drive it lol
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I have done most of the design work already. I work as a technical advisor for an oilfield service rig builder. It's really just a question of money. All the fabrication and manufacturing equipment is at my disposal. Once I knew that I wanted to own my MX-3 for ever...I could easily justify the expense. But honestly it'll take a few years to make it happen.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Paradox MX-3

Post by Paradox MX-3 »

I'm actually interested in doing this swap with a buddy of mine into his MX-3, we are still looking for the motor though

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”