Very Weird Starting

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Slickjr09

Very Weird Starting

Post by Slickjr09 »

Ok so i bought my 92 mx-3 a few weeks ago and the guy said it was just sitting there for a while, it took a while to start but i thiught that it was because it was just sitting there for a while, but it was always doing it taking 2 tries to start it or 6 sec, and the check engine light was on, but the one day i was on the highway and gave it a lot of gas because it wasnt gettin good power, it downshifted and the rpms went up, but later getting off the highway and it was tured off for about 45 min it started right up, it was very sunny and hot so i thought the sun kept the engine warm, but it did that all weekend and was working great and no cheak engine light was on, but today it was working fine till i went to work tokk me 3 tries to start it and engine light was on, i was so mad drove to work fast to get the rpms high, pulled in and reved it, because i thought it kicked something out last time, tured it off and tried it again to see if it worked and same thing it ook a while, then 2 hours later when i went to leave it started right up no cheak light on, im so confused....please help
1992 Automatic Mazda MX-3 GS
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Sounds like you need to start with basic engine management. Get a tune-up and then post back.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Slickjr09

Post by Slickjr09 »

i changed the oil, spark plugs, and battery, what else
1992 Automatic Mazda MX-3 GS
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

disty cap and rotor, plug wires, PCV valve, air filter, fuel filter and thermostat- put some fuel injector cleaner in a full tank of gas. You might also need a timing belt, new timing belt rollers and tensioner along with a water pump and front main seal. The timing stuff depends on when it was done last.
Also, look at the ribbed side of both AC and power steering belt. If they show cracks when you bend them then they need to be replaced.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Read the engine trouble codes - hopefully that will tell you whats going on...
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”