engine build up questions

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
RS_OBD'oh_2

engine build up questions

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Hey..
Just checking if someone could lend a hand on answering some simple questions.

I'm looking to rebuild an engine for my turbo project. I'm having problems finding the correct head gasket. I found one made by fel-pro for the sohc.. I'm not too sure if it will work. Any suggestions on this or another HG?

Also, having problems finding ARP head studs/bolts... found some for the Miata.. would these be the best option?

One more... Is it worth while to do the valves and springs? I'm not looking to build a race car.. But I would like it to last a long time.. with moderate abuse.

FYI.. big 16g.. around 200hp is the goal.. Will have a fab'd ex mani made soon.. will have pics if anyone is interested in this set up.

Thanx guys!!
Bumpysbro
Supporting Member

Post by Bumpysbro »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-199 ... 8966QQrdZ1

ive used this gasket set but it was for my dohc rs. seems to hold up fine, not sure if itll hold up with a turbo. for the valves and springs just depends on how your gonna drive it and how many miles on the engine already. if you plan to keep it forever and drive the heck out of it might as well replace them. good luck with the build. hope it goes well
1995 mazda Mx-3 RS 1.6liter DOHC B6-DE
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

The OEM valvetrain is quite strong. If you up your oil pressure like I did you can spin it to 8000rpm no problem. I've got 15,000+ miles on my B6T head with insane abuse to it...last Friday night I twisted a chromemoly drive shaft in half at Natural Bridge Drag Strip....would have be a 6 second pass. I'd have stood the car straight up if it would have been rear wheel drive! Launched at 5000rpm, 5+psi of boost and it HOOKED (got er right finally).

Need any custom parts? We got your back....also, Corksport can help you with the ARP head studs and a Cometic HP MLS Head Gasket if you like. I've used both the Fel-Pro MLS & the Cometic and haven't had problems with either of them....the Cometic needs a smoother head n deck surface than the Fel-Pro and will leak oil a little bit if you don't dress those surfaces to the minimum RA (surface finish).
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Thanx for the info guys. If it were not for this forum, I'd know jack.
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

JWMotorsports wrote:The OEM valvetrain is quite strong. If you up your oil pressure like I did you can spin it to 8000rpm no problem. I've got 15,000+ miles on my B6T head with insane abuse to it...last Friday night I twisted a chromemoly drive shaft in half at Natural Bridge Drag Strip....would have be a 6 second pass. I'd have stood the car straight up if it would have been rear wheel drive! Launched at 5000rpm, 5+psi of boost and it HOOKED (got er right finally).

Need any custom parts? We got your back....also, Corksport can help you with the ARP head studs and a Cometic HP MLS Head Gasket if you like. I've used both the Fel-Pro MLS & the Cometic and haven't had problems with either of them....the Cometic needs a smoother head n deck surface than the Fel-Pro and will leak oil a little bit if you don't dress those surfaces to the minimum RA (surface finish).
6 seconds :shock: I think that would have been a new MX-3 record. The best I've seen was a RWD conversion that did something like 7.9.
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

:lol: not yet....6's would be 1/8th mile for me and 10's in the 1/4 with All Season street tires. My eventual goal is atleast 9's flat in the 1/4 mile.

The car your talking about was Marcos Acosta's (I apploligize if misspelled). He was running a 20B turbo with nitrous, tube frame, and rear wheel drive...basically a MX-3 body style on a funny car chassis. If that counts as fastest MX-3 than Bob Norwood built the fastest Integra...runs 5's in the 1/4 mile, makes 4000+HP on a Nitro twin turbo 4.6L Aluminum inline 4cyl. :throwup:

:wink:
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
Custom_V6_Limited_SE

Post by Custom_V6_Limited_SE »

JWMotorsports wrote::lol: not yet....6's would be 1/8th mile for me and 10's in the 1/4 with All Season street tires. My eventual goal is atleast 9's flat in the 1/4 mile.

The car your talking about was Marcos Acosta's (I apploligize if misspelled). He was running a 20B turbo with nitrous, tube frame, and rear wheel drive...basically a MX-3 body style on a funny car chassis. If that counts as fastest MX-3 than Bob Norwood built the fastest Integra...runs 5's in the 1/4 mile, makes 4000+HP on a Nitro twin turbo 4.6L Aluminum inline 4cyl. :throwup:

:wink:
O, ok, 1/8th mile. Still getting close to the record though if you only include the stock engine series' (B6, BP, K8, KL). Wanna take a trip with it to speed world in Orlando and let me test drive it sometime? :lol:

We should seriously start a mx-3.com hall of fame for people like you, Dave, Steve (babybluemx3), and Rafi. Make a promo video with the hall of famers for mx-3.com :) .
'93 MX-3 GS SE:My Mods
10secSim

Post by 10secSim »

good idea...that would be an awesome video....Do you have any videos JW.
B6 1.6L DOHC, CAI, custom intake mani. with internal velocity stacks, 65mm thottle body, probe 4-2-1 header, custom 2.5" high flow exhaust, Centerforce dual friction, MS2, MSD 6A, Tokico struts, EIBACH springs.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2443642" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Limegreen mx-3

Re: engine build up questions

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:Hey..

FYI.. big 16g.. around 200hp is the goal.. !!

are ya serious that turbo, that thing is tiny.. big 16g haha j/k

im using a GT 32 turbo on my boosted sohc project..

but hey good luck to you..
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
RbluE_MX-6

Post by RbluE_MX-6 »

What piston/rod combo are you going to use in your rebuild? Standard bore? What Bearings? What about the block, any special treatment? Are you gonna have it balanced and blueprint? Who's gonna put it together?

Sorry about all the questions, I am just very interested in the steps people take in rebuilding their engines. Some do the whole shebang while others opt out on some of the fun(but unnecessary) things.

When I did my FE rebuild, I used all factory parts and gaskets. Standard bore and stroke 86x86mm. Didnt want to overbore if I didnt have to. I would have gone with some forgies but I felt that my power goals didnt call for them.

I do say that the next rebuild I do, my FE is going to get some good stuff.
88 Mx-6 GT FE-DOHC rebuilt

Too much to list...
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

i still be kicking ur azz lil bro
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

No video's for me yet as the car hasn't run since I broke that custom axle...it also twisted up the V6 driver side axle splines and blew up the Mazdaspeed LSD all in about 30 feet.

As for this topic...The big 16G turbo is way over kill if you only want 200HP...it is capable of supporting nearly 400HP. The turbo you should be looking at is a small 16G or even the stock 14B if 200HP is all you want. A T3 super 60 or ultimately the Garrett GT25R would be the sickest choice for the ultimate response 200-300HP setup on your car with a .48 - .63 A/R turbine housing (7cm^2 for mitsu turbos).

P.S.

Just trying to get this thread back on its focus point.

As for engine building...keep your eyes open and watch for my post...might take a couple weeks...also hope it becomes a sticky and or copied to the FAQ's as this is one of the hottest topics for everyone and is repeatedly asked over and over.

When I make the post it will be tittled:
"Engine Building Guide by JWMmotorsports"
93_4Banger

Post by 93_4Banger »

T3 Super 60 FTW!!!
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

As far as the big 16G, that was my first purchase. I don't believe I'll ever max out the turbo.. 380 hp is more than I want. But I figure that 200 hp would be a good starting point. I know that everyone gets the boost bug and wants more and more. I'm just giving myself a little head room from the get go.
Open_dump

Post by Open_dump »

a 16g on the ze or the 1.8l? i can get a 16g off my friends evo 9.....would it be worth it on the 2.5l? i can get it for cheap and throw in the tommy makinen titanium wheel and it would be sick......does the 16g bolt onto a t3/t4 flange is the question

Return to “Forced Induction”