Muffler Sounds (Deep Rumbling Required)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
illapino

Muffler Sounds (Deep Rumbling Required)

Post by illapino »

okay, i've heard several mufflers in my lifetime and want to know: how do i get the muffler that has the sound that i'm after?

one thing i like is that popping sound that comes from some mufflers out there. Not all of them do this. I've decided to stay clear of any Canadian Tire stock obviously because Magnaflows sound like CRAP!!! ... well, they just don't snap crackle pop like one OBX muffler I've heard before ... does the Tanabe universal muffler have that sound? I mean, there's absolutely no way for me to know which muffler I want given that I'm only after a certain sound (and of course the deep rumbling on idle and ignition) without trying them all and listening, which of course i can't do ... in this aftermarket game, we are only given one choice to order and can't play "try-and-see, try-and-see" ...

thanks
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

You could be cool like me and cut your muffler out completely, and put a straightpipe in instead. You'd get that periodic popping sound on decelleration, and a nice rumble at idle, but. . . other than that you'd sound like an F1 car. Okay, don't be like me. I was just being cheap and planning to upgrade in the summer :lol:
Cody
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

This is what I did.. I have headers, straight piping all the way to the OBX muffler. 2.5 piping. The thing sounds sweet. Not raspy unless im like hauling azz. If i see a police office i just simply cruise at a certain speed and the muffler shuts up. it does make noice while dece but its not that ricey.. i got videos on youtube, look for user name hgallegos915
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I heard G-Reddys are ok. People at ProbeTalk love Magnaflows. IMO, Magnaflows are good but are waaay to expensive.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Cy

Post by Cy »

BP. stock header. Open exhaust. universal el-cheapo muffler...

F1/ Chainsaw on accel, again a bit of popping on decell from like 4 to 3500...
delpy32

Post by delpy32 »

i know this is in the v6 forum but i have a 1.6 straight through cat what a tube style cherry bomb...its sounds really good...
1992 mx-3, white, 1.6 sohc, 5 speed, custom: intake, interior and exhaust
96mx-3

Post by 96mx-3 »

i had a ractive on there form canadian tire sounded really good got lots of complements...with the silencer out...3.5" outlet...recently changed cause of headers but i liked it same popping noise when decellerating
deep at a low rpm there prolly 100bucks
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

My custom made back exhaust

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk6esg-8JS0
MoRf

Post by MoRf »

ractive mufflers have a really nice sound i like them alot :) ,ive prolly had 3 of them so far , they can be loud at highway speeds tho ( really deep droning noise).
Red Rocket

Post by Red Rocket »

Where are you located cuz theres a muffler shop here in port hope that the guy will order you in a few different resenators and/or muffler and let you pick the one you like best then send the rest back. His prices are pretty resonable too.
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

Greddy all the way punks
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

I designed my own mufflers and resonators for the MX-3 and had Richard at Brullen custom manufacture everything for me. They even gave the kit it's own part number and sold the semi chambers muffler resonator combo only as a universal P/N#. Some of the older guys out here in the east will probably remember the deep muscle car rumble at idle and large displacement super bike scream at WOT when my car was at meets and cars shows before the car went into storage in '01. The sound got deeper when I switched from a -DE to a higher compression -ZE. To achieve this sound I have to go the Italian super car route and go with a total of 3 resonators and 2 mufflers to get the sound that I wanted. Even with all this the system can flow more CFM than a 70mm straight pipe and there is no cabin resonance.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

i have 2-1/4" from the cat back to a nakayama 2.25to3" and its sounds amazing i absolutely love it but there is one thing, you will hear it, no matter what you do, its LOUD!!! Wonder how loud its gonna screem with the 3" and apexi N1 muffler :)
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”