Air breather?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Jay72

Air breather?

Post by Jay72 »

I found this on Chris Hertel's Cardomain. Maybe a dumb question. What is it exactly and what are it's benefits or purpose as opposed to running the vac to the rear? Is it not taking in super hot air from the engine?

'93 GS, Curved neck KLZE, KL36 ECU, B&M STS, complete SRD shifter bushings, mx-6 clutch, ZX2 struts, Apex springs... and building...
Jay72

Post by Jay72 »

Anyone?
'93 GS, Curved neck KLZE, KL36 ECU, B&M STS, complete SRD shifter bushings, mx-6 clutch, ZX2 struts, Apex springs... and building...
neutral
Supporting Member

Re: Air breather?

Post by neutral »

Jay72 wrote:I found this on Chris Hertel's Cardomain. Maybe a dumb question. What is it exactly and what are it's benefits or purpose as opposed to running the vac to the rear? Is it not taking in super hot air from the engine?

It's a DIY breather filter to allow the positive crankcase ventilation(PCV) valve to release the oily hot engine pressure buildup into the atmosphere, instead of recirculating it into the intake/TB.
Image -Jim
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I dont know why he did it that way.. notice he STILL has another hose connected to the manifold and he has no filter in there. I placed a fuel filter (small) and it keeps some oil off. I vented the side pcv links to atmosphere and cancelled the path to the intake elbow. Keeps thhe hot fumes away. This may cause more than usual carbon build up tho. My carf has been running great like that for weeks so i guess ill be good.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Jay72

Post by Jay72 »

Are you saying that this only serves to keep the intake free of oil residue or minimize it? If doing a set up like this (properly, without the extra hose going back to the intake), would it actually help to cool the engine at all? How would a proper set up be for something like this?
And where would the carbon build up in?

Thanks
Jay
chertel

Post by chertel »

That is an old pic before I swapped in the ze. The only reason I did that is because the engine was almost shot and acting up and with it set up that way it ran good. But now the ze is in and its all good :)
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

one thing id like to add... i noticed of you have the breather for the pvc... the car WILL NOT DIE when you remove the cap! wow.. lol just kind of wanted to let everyone know and end the debate weather the mx3 is supposed to die when you take off the oil cap. I repet.. the car will not die if i remove the oil cap when you are venting the pvc system. It WILL die if you are not venting it (as far as my conclusions)
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Now I'm confused.
Cody
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

well a while ago was a big confusing wether the mx3 should die if you take out the oil cap because of loss of pressure opr something. My klze would do that before I vented the pcv to the atmosphere. Afterwards it will stay running without the oil cap on.. strange..
-hec

tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

I'm trying to decide why that is.
Cody
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

hgallegos915 wrote:well a while ago was a big confusing wether the mx3 should die if you take out the oil cap because of loss of pressure opr something. My klze would do that before I vented the pcv to the atmosphere. Afterwards it will stay running without the oil cap on.. strange..
If you had the pcv routed to the intake then an open oil cap will cause a vaccum leak whenever the pcv valve opens.

When you start venting to the atmosphere - you have probably closed the link to intake - now there's no vaccum leak to lean out the mixture and make the engine die.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

aa YES.. that would explain it!! :) thanks.
-hec

SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

So um... one noobish question deserves another. So if the PCV was routed to the atmosphere, as the picture shoes it as, it causes more carbon buildup?

OK, well, how about the other line that connects to the intake piping, if a filter is placed such as here:

Should the PCV also be rerouted to the atmosphere? Or just a filter placed to keep the oil residue low? And does that filter on the picture do anything positive other than look kinda neat?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Having them breath to atmosphere is illegal in Ontario
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I guess yeah more carbon build up.. i have a few mon ths with it and opened the valve covers, no change there.. i change the oil every 2500 miles. I dont know about the internals but the intake valves where clean. They were actually dirty when i had the pcv sys hooked up.
-hec

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”