pilot bearing?

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
turbulence23

pilot bearing?

Post by turbulence23 »

litte question because i am placing a new clutch

doing the ZE swap @ the moment.

i got a clutch kit, but thought when looking at some clutches at ebay that i was missing something.

this is just a picture i ripped off ebay...

what i got is the complete clutchkit and the big bearing at the left lower corner,( release bearing i thought) but not that really small bearing in the middle ( bronze colour) and that tool that is at the bottom.

do i need those? is my kit incomplete or are those not really necesairry?
2.5L KLZE engine, CF hood, Postert frontbumper, kmax skirts, custom diffusor..

MY RIDE:
http://www.mazdamx-3.nl/members/member_show.php?id=102
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Depends.. missing in that particular picture is the Flywheel.. They pilot bearing (The small bronze colored one) installs into the center of the flywheel (at least on the V6 models) So look at your flywheel.. does it have the bearing in it already? If so.. you dont need it.. if not.. you do. Cheers

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Boris

Post by Boris »

as for the tool at the bottom, you can rent that. It's a clutch alignment tool.... most auto parts stores will have them and will rent them to you.

And if you're re-using your pilot bearing from your old flywheel... just make sure it spins freely still. If it doesn't, you might needa buy another one (again, you can probably just buy it at your local parts store).
1993 1.6L SOHC. Mazdaspeed mounts, BP09 ECU, BP VAF, Fidanza miata flywheel, exedy miata pressure plate, centerforce mx3 disc, tokico struts, B&G lowering springs, and some sh***y motomaster tires.
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Pilot bearings are cheap too.. mine cost a whopping $3.21. The clutch alignment tool can usually be purchased for less than $6. I didnt bother with it.. I just eyeballed mine and adjusted it with a long screwdriver till it lined up.. then I lifted the tranny up and popped it onto the engine. In my case the engine was suspended by the engine hoist and I had a friend there to help steady it and start the tranny bolts while I held it all in place.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL

Return to “Transmissions”