Brole spedo gear...trany stuck

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
plusinfinit

Brole spedo gear...trany stuck

Post by plusinfinit »

I have a 93 mx-3, 4 cyl witha manual tany. Poor thing has 167000 miles and the spedometer cable driving gear broke and floated somewhere in my trany. I on;y have reverse, 2 and 5th gear now.....cant drive like that.
I really want to fix this myself. How hard is it to take the trany apart and remove the broken speedometer driving gear. Do I need special selas or gaskets to put it back
What other manual transmissinos woul bolt on my 93 SOHC.
Please help me spring is i coming and i want my fun car back.
StPapp
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

You drive the car after a metal piece fell into your tranny? :shock: Man you must really hate your car.

Finding a tranny from another mx3 would be the best option IMO.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

It is not that hard to take apart, but getting it back together could be tricky if you are not mechanically familiar with the trans. My advice would be to remove the trans and take it somewhere and ask them to remove the speedo gear. There are no seals, just gasket maker where you remove the 5th gear housing and then the trans casing.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
Mazdaracer

Post by Mazdaracer »

the speedo ring gear is plastic not metal...but plastic can still cause issues ;) Unless you really tried forcing things, chances are good that the trans is fine.

As PATDIESEL said, it's not that hard...it just sounds hard. If ya wanna see how, here's my how-to
THINK FAST, GO RACING!!
2004 Mazda6 Wagon
2004 Mazda3 Sedan
1990 BG8P Protege LX - KLZE - Race Preped - #98 SM - SCCA Solo2

Return to “Transmissions”