OMH testing secondary coil winding question.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
twoie

OMH testing secondary coil winding question.

Post by twoie »

I believe my coil has left me. But before installing mod I'm trying to verify it is indeed taken a crap. On page G-027 there is a pic, but I can't tell what the right hand (not the one labeled A) lead is pointing to. Is this pointing to the rotor?

Thanks

twoie
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

huh, the V6s didn't come with an external coil so I'm guessing you have done an external coil mod?...
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

If you are talking about the second picture on G-027 - no its not pointing to the rotor. Its the high voltage post that sticks out into the distributor cap. Once you take the cap out you will see that post (with a small metal hat) sticking out above all else.
Last edited by ariesdude on March 16th, 2007, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
twoie

Post by twoie »

Pat thanks for responding. I Haven't put the external coil on yet. I was trying to verify this is what I need by following the online shop man. On page G-027 it shows testing the primary and secondary coil winding. I was just a little ( still am ) confused as to what they are pointing to on the right hand side of the pic.

twoie
twoie

Post by twoie »

airesdude Thanks I posted a reply before I seeing your response. Clears it up

By doing the test seems my coil is testing out of range and is prob the reason for missfires and poor fuel economy. When I pulled the cap off the "packing" just fell apart. Can I just use RTV or should I get the seal ( packing ) from Mazda

twoie
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

I don't understand what "packing" you are talking about. Are you meaning to say the rubber seal around the disty cap?

I have had a hard time testing the coils on K series distys. Seems that I cannot get a good reading whether they are bad or good coils. So it Might not be the coil, but I don't know what else to suggest unless you know someone with a good K8 disty that wouldn't mind letting you try their disty on your car to see if it solves the issue. GL
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

Did you test it with the disty still attached to the engine? Take it out completely and test it. I agree with pat - its a good idea to get a known good disty - it will definitely help you localize the problem. One common problem with our distys is a bad ignition module - search for HEI mod.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

He means the "coil pack" aka the "coil" thats inside the disty? maybe hes asking how to get it tested?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

Yeah, I understood that. The coil was difficult for me to test, but I don't see how having it in the car would effect anything. It was disconnected (not a back probe of the wires), so it should have behaved like the manual sais. Anyway, my first suggestion still stands, find a known good one and see if that is your problem.
twoie

Post by twoie »

Yes I mean the rubber seal. The man. calls it "packing". Can I just use RTV in it's place?
PATDIESEL

Post by PATDIESEL »

You do not want to RTV the cap to the disty, but some sort of seal is a good idea since it keeps debris and water out of the cap.
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

PATDIESEL wrote:Yeah, I understood that. The coil was difficult for me to test, but I don't see how having it in the car would effect anything. It was disconnected (not a back probe of the wires), so it should have behaved like the manual sais. Anyway, my first suggestion still stands, find a known good one and see if that is your problem.
I was just guessing that if its in the car surrounded by the bulk of engine metal there might be reading fluctuations - especially with the ohmeter using milliamps & few volts to measure resistance. Normal operation shouldnt be a problem because it deals with kilovolts for the spark.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
twoie

Post by twoie »

thanks for the replys. Since I don't know anyone with an MX-3 and omh testing the disty in or out of the car still produces the same readings I started adding the coil part of the HEI mod.
I guess the rubber seal for the disty cap will be a dealer item.

twoie

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”