engine swap, odd electrical things happening

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
xcilver

engine swap, odd electrical things happening

Post by xcilver »

I just had to swap out my v6-94 to a v6-93. when all was said and done we went to fire it up and it turned over a few times but it stopped! then all the front and back lights would not shut off ??? till I disconnected the terminals! any ideas on what happened?
Thanks Dan.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Is your car OBD I or OBD II?
Sounds like you have a short, but I don't see how you messed up the body harness (head and tail lights) with an engine replacement (should all be engine harness which is not connected to the body harness). the only part of the engine that is connected to the body harness that I remember is the reverse light switch on the tranny. Which brings up another ?. Do you have a auto or manual trans?
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
xcilver

odd electrical

Post by xcilver »

I have an automatic and the engine came from a standard 5 speed!
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

You still didn't answer about the OBD model. Is it OBD1 or OBD2?
If your car was an auto before and is still an auto you still shouldn't have any problems, but start by replying about the OBD. I don't know enough about auto MX-3s to know if they even have a nuetral or reverse swtich on the trans. It might all be on the shifter. Have you checked for blown fuses or any fuse that might not be blown, but looks dark. Make sure all your fuses are the right size and that someone didn't use a larger fuse than should be in any certain spot.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
xcilver

swap

Post by xcilver »

the OBD is OBD1, the fuses look good, engine came from a 93 manual and now is a 94 automatic, still having fun rebuilding this car! hope you can help!

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”