Intercooler sizing

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
nickmx3

Intercooler sizing

Post by nickmx3 »

Hey guys am about to buy an intercooler and need some assistance in deciding the specs, my goal is between 250-400hp max daily driver on a bpt.
I have been doing some research about the specs i need could you tell me if this is correct for my goals.
cfm of the intercooler 300-600cfm
the size am looking at is 29 ins long 2-3ins wide and 9-12 ins high.
am not too sure about boost levels yet but am looking at pressure drop of not more than 1.5-2 psi.
Am also thinkking about the plate style core.
Any help would be appreciate in deciding my best options
1995 J-Spec Az3, BPT swap, mazda speed eibach springs, mazda speed swaybars, mazda speed exhaust, mazda speed shock tower bar, mazda speed bodykit, sr shocks, disk-brakes all around,turbox boost controler, honda del sol act pressure plate, fmic 20x12x3
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

look at my setup
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
nickmx3

Post by nickmx3 »

I have seen your specs in terms of the dimensions its pretty close to one I found online today, what are the specs in terms of flow rate psi drop and that sort of thing on yours see I dont want to get one that will not work properly.
1995 J-Spec Az3, BPT swap, mazda speed eibach springs, mazda speed swaybars, mazda speed exhaust, mazda speed shock tower bar, mazda speed bodykit, sr shocks, disk-brakes all around,turbox boost controler, honda del sol act pressure plate, fmic 20x12x3
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Re: Intercooler sizing

Post by babyblueMX3 »

nickmx3 wrote:Hey guys am about to buy an intercooler and need some assistance in deciding the specs, my goal is between 250-400hp max daily driver on a bpt.
I have been doing some research about the specs i need could you tell me if this is correct for my goals.
cfm of the intercooler 300-600cfm
the size am looking at is 29 ins long 2-3ins wide and 9-12 ins high.
am not too sure about boost levels yet but am looking at pressure drop of not more than 1.5-2 psi.
Am also thinkking about the plate style core.
Any help would be appreciate in deciding my best options
I used to have a 28x8x3.5 bar and plate intercooler (everything exposed) and I was getting realllly nice intake temps. I was running close to 400 whp so I think you should be alright with what you mentionned
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
nickmx3

Post by nickmx3 »

thanks for the replies I will get an intercooler with those specs. Have anyone of u used street importd out of ottawa in ontario in canada.
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

nickmx3 wrote:thanks for the replies I will get an intercooler with those specs. Have anyone of u used street importd out of ottawa in ontario in canada.
I WAS going to order from them until I found out all their intercoolers were tube and fin style. Maybe they changed them since
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)

Return to “Forced Induction”