suggestions?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
lv2xlr8

suggestions?

Post by lv2xlr8 »

I managed to find someone that could turbo my motor for a decently cheap price. My question is this. What should i do to my motor to prep it for some boost? It has app. 124000 miles on it and burns a little oil. i know that if i turbo it im gonna at least put new rings in it.

Also, what would be a safe amount of boost to run in the motor with stock components and compression?
94 MX-3 1.6L DOHC 5sp, corksport shifter, crappy intake and muffler
01 SS Camaro, full flowmaster exhaust and hurst shifter
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

its all in the engine mangement system u have a good one it will last a while a good while. I had two bad cly 2 at 180 one at 140 another at 120 i still pulled a 12.8@110 on that engine. but it lasted 3 months becasue i let aother pople drive it and u know the the say. it ain't mine so Funk it my bro lock the motor don;t know how. but it was replace and back on the road @ 20psi. no one drive it but me and its doing good. but then again i have a race setup on a stock engine. nothing in my engine bay is factory but the engine and trans.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

Hes right, Management is key. You can get a suprising amount out of a stock engine just by having a proper Engine management system. Now, there isnt much you can do without changing out parts with more expensive ones.. A rebuild would be nice but if youre going to go that far why not just get some 1.6 gtx rods and wisecos or something. Its not just as simple as changing out a few rings.. The motor basically has to be scrapped to rebuild it. It needs to be honed again and a ton of gaskets and seals replaced.

Its all down to how much power you want to make. Not how much boost you can run but how much power. 10 psi on a big turbo will make a hell of a lot more power than 10 psi on a small turbo simply because it pushes more air. Id say youll be happy with a t3 at 10 or so pounds, maybe 15 if youre feeling cocky. I ran 15 with my t3 super 60 and that made a nice amount of power, Probally 220 or so I guess.

Again, it all comes down to how you control the engine. Fuel is important but Ignition timing is critical, No FMU or SAFC will take care of your needs. Basically, you will need a standalone.. Dosent matter if its a Megasquirt or a TECIII.. You have to have some way to accurately control the ignition timing otherwise youll detonate and melt pistons or throw a rod.

Now.. when you say that someone is going to turbo your motor for a decently cheap price.. how cheap are we talking here? You surely dont want half assed work do you? Because there are alot of people who might seem like they know what they are talking about when it comes to this stuff but they really dont.
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
nolig2278

Post by nolig2278 »

deleted
Last edited by nolig2278 on February 25th, 2007, 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
94 RS to BPT
2.5 FMIC
MicroSquirt
2.5 Exhaust
[url=https://gilon.levinsonltd.com/mx-3.html[/url]
nolig2278

Post by nolig2278 »

i turboed my dad's 94 dohc 1.6 by adding a small ic and turbo from mercury capri. used radiator flex tubes for ic pipes. safc2 was worthless with 94 ecu but injecotrs from a larger engien mazda with a rrfpr kept the gas flowing properly with 7 psi of boost.

ic size limited the boost

pics on my website http://www.levinsonltd.com/mx3/Sell/
94 RS to BPT
2.5 FMIC
MicroSquirt
2.5 Exhaust
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

[quote="nolig2278"]10 psi on a big or small turbo should not make more power as it is 10psi above normal pressure eitherway.

now 10 psi on a small or larger engine is a difference as there is more air being combusted in a larger engine.[/quote]

u want to bet on that comment put a stock BPT on 10psi vs my setup at 10psi on a larger turbo and i'll eat that BPT alive all day long. u sure u know what ur saying if not don't post useless info.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
nolig2278

Post by nolig2278 »

if the only difference between 2 bpt mx3 is the size of the turbo and both have 10psi then they should be equal. now which one will get to 10 psi first is another story. small turbo will spool up faster, les turbo lag but it can also be a limiting part. A large turbo will swallow a good amount more air faster once it has spooled up and pull in more air within a given time than a smaller turbo.

of course i would prefer a larger turbo but to say that 2 otherwise equal cars running 10 psi, should both be putting down the same hp on a dyno
94 RS to BPT
2.5 FMIC
MicroSquirt
2.5 Exhaust
Franko
Supporting Member

Post by Franko »

Im sorry dude, you dont know what you are talking about.

The only thing your boost gauge is telling you is how hard the turbo is working.

You can calculate how much cfm (cubic feet per minute) of air your engine can suck in on its own from a simple equation.

Displacement (x) Engine rpm (x) 0.5 since it only takes air half the time (x) .85 because volumetric efficency is usually around 85% and divide it all by 1728 which converts cubic inches to cubic feet.

a 1.8 liter engine is 109 cubic inches so at 6000 rpm your engine can suck 160 cubic feet of air per minute on its own. A small turbo might only be capable of supplying 250 cfm at its maximum. Where as a bigger turbo at the same boost might be able to flow 500 cfm into the engine. More air means you can put more fuel and thus more power. Boost tells you how pressureized the air in the system is but not how much is actually flowing through it. Dont confuse 10 psi with a fixed amount of power increase because there is alot more to it than meets the eye.

That is why I ran 15 psi from my vj20 and only made 170 hp and that was barely enough to spin the tires in second and last summer I could blow the tires off of third at the same boost on a t3/t4. It simply made more power because it could flow more air.
93 MX3, BP, Haltech E6X, Bully Six Puck Clutch, Pauter Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Port and Polish, Turbonetics T3/T4 Ball Bearing turbo and a partridge in a pear tree.
lv2xlr8

Post by lv2xlr8 »

by decently cheap price, i mean about $1200, thats with intercooler, piping and everything.
94 MX-3 1.6L DOHC 5sp, corksport shifter, crappy intake and muffler
01 SS Camaro, full flowmaster exhaust and hurst shifter
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

nolig2278, I am not sure where you are getting your information from but it is completely wrong. 10psi on different turbos will not produce the same amount of power, you should know it all has to do with air flow/cfm and once u can provide enough fuel to match the greater flow capacity of a larger turbo, you will make more power plain and simple.

I used to run 10psi at first on my setup with a IHI VJ-14 turbo off the 1600cc 323 GTX then lately switch to a IHI VJ11 off MX6 2.2 turbo, at the same psi, there was clearly a difference in power especially at the top end, I also ran faster 0-60mph and 1/4mile times.

Do you research before you spread misinformation.
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
n2ogsze

Post by n2ogsze »

PSI (boost)=pressure
CFM=volum
Smaller turbo=less volume, same pressure
Bigger turbo=more volume, same pressure
Conclusion: Bigger turbo will flow more air at same boost psi, thus producuing more power at equal PSI as smaller turbo.
T61 powered KLZE
nolig2278

Post by nolig2278 »

bigger turbo allows for more airflow, i agree totally, but there is much more to consider. an effective intercooler can help equal things back out. if the temperature of the air passing through the throttle body of both a big and small turbo is the same then they will both be producing the same power at the same boost because they both will contain the same air molecules.

a larger turbo can flow more air moluclues into the pipes but this could cause more heat-if the pipes are too small- which will also expand the molecules and the boost will also be measuring this.

a larger turbo will be great for higher psi but when talking about 10psi, both a small and large turbo on the exact same setup will be pretty damn close, the larger turbo should be putting down a little more power.

now if you get into above 15psi a larger turbo will be much
better if you have proper air cooling and correct pipe sizes
Last edited by nolig2278 on February 25th, 2007, 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
94 RS to BPT
2.5 FMIC
MicroSquirt
2.5 Exhaust
93_4Banger

Post by 93_4Banger »

close this thread soo the newer turbo people dont get confused by people who spread stuff that isnt true.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

same here i agree
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

nolig2278 wrote:10 psi on a big or small turbo should not make more power as it is 10psi above normal pressure eitherway.

now 10 psi on a small or larger engine is a difference as there is more air being combusted in a larger engine.

:laugh:

now thats some funny s---.

at 10PSI on a large turbo your pushing more CFM(which is the KEY) than you are at 10PSI on a small Turbo.

so Bugs's car he ran a VF10 at 13psi we pushed it to 212 WHP, on the DYNO. now on a VF12 (a bigger Turbo) we got the same results 212 WHP at 8PSI on the DYNO. now according to you and what your wrote thats not possable, we must have broke physics or something :shrug:

Return to “Forced Induction”